• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

The Big One - is it worth a visit?

Steve Reed

The Big One is taking place in Farnborough on the 20/21st Feb. Never been - is it worth a visit?

Steve

Hi

I have been both when it was at Thorpe Park and once when at its new venue.

As someone who always goes into a tackle shop and comes out with something, it can be dangerous :), but if you are focussed you can have a good time and there is always something to see as you can handle most of the gear and often videos to watch.

There are bargins to be had, but like all things in life - do your research before hand - so you know if you are getting a good or at least equal deal.

I have missed it the past few years, partly due to the fact it is now 30 miles from where I live, but with the web and local shops easily available, buying is of secondary issue and it has become more of a social thing and a chance to meet up with some mates.

I do have an enduring memory from this and the Sandown? racecourse carp show, if you stand too near the restaurants, you will come home smelling of chips/food and the wife will probably comment.

Not sure if this helps.

Chris

Sounds like I should give it a miss. I have zero willpower when in any tackle shop and I am likley to come away with a load of stuff I don't really need.

Steve

Worth it I reckon. And if you go after 1pm it's half price to get in.

As Chris has said above, be aware of the usual price you would pay in the shops/ online so you know for sure whether you are getting a good deal or not.
Don't be afraid to haggle although some stalls never budge on price.

At the very least a good opportunity to sniff some new bait and stock up on cheaper leads and hooks.

Hope Korda are there this year...

For a half day, for £4, it's worth a visit.
Nic, there is alot of carp gear but there's also just as much general coarse gear, rods, reels, poles plus sea fishing gear.

Ian

PS Papa Burke...Sir Fairbrass et al will be there

The show is well worth a visit and this year looks even better than usual, all the big tackle companies are there.

Additionally, Twyford and District Fishing Club will be at the show and are running a special offer to new members wishing to join the club for 2010-2011 season.

Anyone wishing to join at the show will not need to pay the usual joining fee, they would pay only the £58 yearly senior membership (£29 per year for Juniors and Concessionary) plus the one off £3 key fee.

This will entitle the new member to the full 2010 - 2011 season, plus the remainder of the 2009 - 2010 season.

The membership covers all except Night fishing of whistely mill river and Causeway Lake which are available at a small additional charge.

You can however fish 24 hours on other stretches of the Lodddon and St. Pats within the normal price, which I think deifferentiates us from most local clubs....

Take a look at the website: TDFC Website

In addition, we will be starting taking Debit/Credit card payments at the show (normal charge for credit cards) which will continue thereafter............

The offer will be extended outside of the show to include the remainder of this season but the £10 joining fee will be imposed

Last edited:
For a half day, for £4, it's worth a visit.
Nic, there is alot of carp gear but there's also just as much general coarse gear, rods, reels, poles plus sea fishing gear.

Ian

PS Papa Burke...Sir Fairbrass et al will be there

That is true Ian ;), but most of it is complete rubbish and really isn't even worth looking at :( it's just there to bulk out a stand :rolleyes:

Back