• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Thank you

Jon Berry

As some of you will know, my 'modding' skills - or lack of - have come in for some criticism in the last few days, most recently today on the 'usual suspects' thread. I acknowledged a poor choice of words a few days ago, but this was not sufficient and the matter has been raised again.

In light of this, and in particular to ensure that the integrity of the bfw team is not tarnished further, i've asked Andy to remove me from the team with immediate effect. I hope that this means that the high regard in which most hold the team can continue.

I've been around on the site for a long time, and have had a great deal of support and friendship through it - so thank you.

Applicants for the post, please form an orderly queue!

cheers and so long,

Jon

Jon

Don't be harsh on yourself Jon. It's generally a thankless task, but I'm sure Andy & co. (and the site users) would rather have an honest moderator they know and trust, than someone they don't?

All praise to you for the humility to recognise your errors (small beer though they are, really?), but better the Devil we know, I say........:)

I'm sure once the weather gets better and people get out on the riverbank, gripes will disappear..........:D

Jon,
if it's any consolation I feel you are making too much of this. So you said something was boring when in hindsight you think the choice of words was inappropriate, so what? It doesn't reflect badly on you or the rest of the mods, just proves you are human. It was hardly crime of the century anyway.
If you have any inclination to stay then just ignore it. If you just can't be arsed with it any longer then that's a different ball game.

Jon

Although it can be seen, of course, that I am an admin on BFW and therefore part of "the team", I am not a moderator, have never been one, nor would I be one (similarly on 10 other forums I admin on). These are my opinions and in no way attributed to the BFW Team.

So I can speak from as best a neutral position as I can muster when i say that your "modding skills" (as you called them, are not a problem at all, since whomever dons the "mods hat" would come up against criticism by one or some whom have an opinion. Fortunately these are, I know, in a minority compared with those who take the view that the "modding" was for the general good of the site/forum. Especially as it prompts a member whom most would hold in the highest esteem, and have years of history, actually feels the need to start a thread talking of "pollution" of threads by some members - the very pollution that requires the mods to find their hat.

I'll be unhappy if you step back from the team, as you are held also in high esteem, moreso (in my opinion) than those who criticise any mod who doesn't man the buttons 24/7. You couldn't make it up, but then that's par for the course. I'm just glad that par has been severly reduced since BFW changed from the open-to-abuse forum of hidden agendas and aliases, to that of users with real names.

paul4

Jon,
if it's any consolation I feel you are making too much of this. So you said something was boring when in hindsight you think the choice of words was inappropriate, so what? It doesn't reflect badly on you or the rest of the mods, just proves you are human. It was hardly crime of the century anyway.
If you have any inclination to stay then just ignore it. If you just can't be arsed with it any longer then that's a different ball game.

I am in complete agreement with Chris. Moderating is a thankless task and I'm sure that 99% of thinking members appreciate that the job is not an easy one and would ask that you reconsider your decision.

Jon

I think time spent moderating on the net takes you away from what you do best and that also gives more pleasure to fishers.

Writing fabulous books

Graham

People are happy with your moderating or they are not Jon, it doesn't matter. It doesn't matter about your choice of words. What matters is that you moderated the thread based on what the thread had at that point become.
Before you took the role, did you apply in the knowledge that you'd have to meet requirements? Of course you didn't! Andy offered you the role because of you - your integrity, honesty, balance and consideration. They haven't changed Jon, and they are still what you take to the Job. What is important is that anyone who knows you will know that to be true. From your point of view anything else should be considered superfluous.

Damian

I am one of those who had a dig at Jon after a misunderstanding on my own part :eek:. When the issue was resolved I was left with the impression that you, Jon, were a thoroughly decent guy.
As other posters have said, I think you're doing a good job under sometimes very trying circumstances.

Kind regards

Mike

Jon ,IS a thoroughly decent Guy,and a very fair one ,more's the shame that a few plonkers are dominating this board with forum twaddle ,and thinking scoring points is more important than catching a few fish and having the craic with fellow anglers.

Andy must be fed up the **** that has started to appear on the forum.

Must confess I prefer Facebook these days ,and guess what you can pick your friends,and there is no unpleasantness,quite the opposite in fact.

I cannot say I blame you Jon,enjoy your fishing mate,leave 'em to it.
lol,
Pons

Although I don't know you Jon, I thoroughly enjoyed your excellent book, your always interesting 'floppyhatter' posts, as well as some stunning pictures (fantastic ferox!).

Although you are giving up the mod thingy, I hope you continue to post here as it would be a sad loss if you don't.

All the best
Mark

Jon, as most already know i have the utmost respect for any BFW moderator in their generosity in giving their time, patience and common sense,
if you wasnt right for the job i am sure Andy F would have brought it up with you, We need guys like you to not only help rebuild BFW but to also keep it a decent place:)

I’m extremely saddened by the fact that Jon feels this way. I’m even more annoyed at the fact that he’s obviously had his Christmas break from a busy job marred by moderating BFW. Sorry Jon.

From now on, if anyone has a problem with the moderating on the site, you contact me directly. You do NOT instigate a public discussion on here discussing any gripe you may have with how we run the site. I’ll be making a change to the BFW rules to reflect this. As always, if you don’t like it, you’re welcome to go somewhere else. I know that sounds arrogant, but it’s that simple.

Jon – if your decision stands (which I sincerely hope it doesn’t), I’d like to thank you for your help over the past few years with the site. I’ll give you a call later today...

Regards,

Andy F

I have to agree with all of the above !
I know Jon (not as well as I might) but I do know that he is a very intelligent, articulate, rational and above all, bloody nice bloke !
I too hope that his decision doesn't stand, as I believe that the site needs him ! Jon (and others) has the nerve to step in and moderate/comment on threads when I find that I question my motives and fear purely being shot down in flames by some of the sniping on here !
This is not meant as a dig at anyone, purely as a show of support for Jon and the rest of the team who do a difficult job. As Andy F has said, we all have lives/familys/other problems away from fishing and BFW.
Please gents, lets keep it a good place to be !

Regards Paul M.

Back