• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Thames perch

Martin Stevens

Hi all

After living in London for the best part of twelve years, I'm finally going to be doing a bit of fishing in the city this week.

I have the day off on Friday, so I will be taking both my boys lure fishing for perch (won't sniff at a pike or zander though) in Teddington. Now I'm not after anyone's hotspots but as I have never even been to the area I am hoping that some kind soul might be able to give me a few pointers or tips. Apart from the island are there any spots we can't fish. I have seen photos of people fishing from jettys, is this allowed?

If things are quiet we might walk down to Kingston. Is this worth it? If so what side of the river gives best access? The South/East looks best from google.

I will be mainly using shad type jigs but also have a couple of spinners as well.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Martin,
You are able to fish from the island,there's a map by the lock that shows the permitted areas for fishing on the island,which is pretty much all of it.The metal structure below the lock is a bit of a grey area fishing wise.Regards to walking to Kingston,the towpath runs alongside the river all the way to Kingston on the Ham side,so the river would be on your right hand side.If you need to know where to park I can pm you.
Good luck.
Pete.

Thanks for that Pete. I will be travelling by train so no need for parking.

Is there a map on both sides of the river as we will be coming down the teddington side? I've read that fishing by the boats and pontoons is a good starting point and that alot of the fish tend to be close in. Is there anywhere that's not worth bothering with?

Cheers
Martin

Martin,
Fairly sure the map is only displayed on the Ham side where the access to the lockies office is.If you log onto the T.A.C. site I'm pretty certain you can view the map there.The area off the beach by the moored boats is certainly a good starting point.
Pm for you.
Pete

Back