• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Thames club recommendation please

Simon Haggis

Hi all

I’ve been a member of a couple of Loddon clubs for the last few years but fancy a change of scene and fishing the Thames.

I’m in N6, north London and would appreciate any suggestions for clubs on the Thames that allow night fishing please.

Many thanks

Simon

Nothing to add as no experience fishing them however I was there x2 weekends ago and walked a bit along the Thames and st Patrick's steam. The stream looked stunning and is also on the twyford ticket as a looked it up. However also not seemingly great news when it comes to fish stocks:(

Remember that downstream of Staines there are no club waters and it’s all free fishing, as long as you can legally get to the waters edge. I was a member of Twyford but their stretch of the Thames is not renowned for barbel but it does have some lovely but challenging bits of the Loddon and St Pats Stream.

Got to confess that I have no up to date knowledge of Thames fisheries.
Seem to recall that the London Angling Association had a lot, if not most of the private fishing, also the Civil Service Angling Society. They've got Windsor racecourse fishery, Datchet as far as I know but that's been somewhat compromised by our travelling friends.
Also Reading and District had a few Thames stretches. Worth checking out.
Memories coming back about a stretch upstream of a bridge at something Clinton.
Could be wrong but it was a reputably good barbel stretch. Caught possibly my only Thames Barbel there and a 5lb+ Chub on a 5"toby in a weir pool.
Check out the CSAS website there may be more and you will certainly have relatively undisturbed fishing opportunities.
As a kid I fished with my Dad at Hurley, Wallingford and Shillingford, think they were LAA but don't ever recall being asked for a day ticket.
Have had some fantastic fishing on the Thames, mostly in weir pools, from boats, in otherwise inaccessible areas. Marlow and Goring particularly.
There's a couple of miles downstream from Teddington weir to Eel pie island that's virtually unfished due to the lack of access. There are Barbel and huge Carp there.

Thanks everyone. I used to fish the CSAS stretches as a kid but ended up on their Kennet bit most of the time. Probably worth another look.

Back