• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Thames Anglers Conservancy

Cass Edwards

Thank you BFW team for allowing me to post this message.

As some may know a new group called the Thames Anglers Conservancy has recently been launched.

We are a group composed primarily of anglers who want to help conserve the River Thames habitat for the enjoyment of everyone. In order to do so, we plan to encompass and work with as many people as possible who have an interest in conserving the fauna and flora which inhabit the River Thames and its riparian habitat. Our aim is to strive for a clean and healthy river environment containing a multitude of habitats which are able to support and sustain a rich and biodiverse ecosystem.

One of the main reasons for the formation of the T.A.C. was to campaign against pollution - in its many forms - from entering the Thames. In the last decade there have been several large scale fish kills due to partially treated sewage being discharged into the river from sewage treatment works. Furthermore, endocrine disrupting chemicals which enter the river via sewage outfalls are known to cause widespread damage to the development and reproduction of fish and aquatic invertebrates. These forms of pollution cause serious ecological problems and are a health hazard to river users. Although we appreciate that Thames Water are about to start work to increase the capacity of the Mogden Sewage Treatment Works by 50%, sewage is regularly discharged into the river on average once a week. This is readily acknowledged by Thames Water, who state:

“Annually 32 million cubic metres of diluted sewage is discharged into the River Thames,
enough to fill the O2 (Millennium Dome) almost 15 times”.

This is a phenomenal amount of sewage. While the proposed developments will help to limit pollution events, the new works cannot be built and rendered operational quickly enough to prevent continued environmental damage to the River Thames ecosystem, either today, tomorrow, next week or next year. Consequently we will be monitoring the progress of the enhancements at Mogden and lobbying to make sure they are completed within the planned time frame.

As a newly formed club our development is on-going and our website evolving. In time we hope the T.A.C. will become a major focal point for anyone interested in the aquatic environment of the River Thames. We hope to appeal not only to anglers who fish the river but also to anyone interested in its ecology. The T.A.C. plans to become an educational resource detailing the many plants and animals and other organisms found in and around the river. We also want to highlight the problems caused by non-native invasive species and provide advice about what can be done to prevent and limit their occurrence and spread. As a new organisation we really need as much support as possible, and we ask you to join us in trying to create a better River Thames environment for everyone to enjoy for many years to come.
-

Our web site still needs work to it, it can be accessed here:
http://www.t-a-c.webege.com/

Our forum is, however, up and running here:
http://t-a-c.actionboard.net

To become a member of the Conservancy costs nothing. All you need to do is register using your real name.

To join the forum you need to be a member of the Conservancy and then register again on the forum page.

We need as much support as possible.

Thank you, Cass (waterwhirl)

Cass,

What is the relationship between this and The already establishe Thames Fisheries and Conservation Consultative Council which has members from all stakeholders including fishing clubs, councils, thames water, the EA, natural england, the rspb, etc, etc.....and is already doing lots of very good work on with regards habitat re-creation, protection, etc..........??

Or is this another completely seperate group??

Hi Ian,

Thank you for your reply.

The Thames Anglers Conservancy is indeed a separate group, born out of wanting to try and do something positive to stop sewage regularly entering the River Thames from the Mogden Sewage Treatment Works outfall (MSTW). That was the primary initial aim. As you probably know sewage regularly enters the river from the MSTW at Isleworth and has caused several major fish kills in the past.

The formation of the group arose from emails and internet conversations mainly between anglers who fish the free-fishing sections of the River Thames. Hence, we decided to form an internet based club, with a forum, where we could share our concerns.

Since our inception one thing has led to another, and we have become more active in the range of conservation issues affecting the Thames. In the last couple of weeks Thames Water have issued Press Releases detailing updates to the Mogden and Crossness Sewage Treatment Works at a cost of £350m. These projects have now started. In order that we fully understand the scope of the developments, and be better briefed, the Director of Thames Water invited us to a meeting detailing these updates and also the planned London Tideway Tunnels which we attended last night. Furthermore, we have been invited to a tour around the MSTW.

Regarding our relationship with the Thames Fisheries Consultative Council, we are in communication with them and have been invited to their next meeting on the 16 February to find out more about their ongoing work. This will be a good opportunity for us to see the broader picture. We are also in communication with several River Thames stakeholders to see how we can help conserve the river and the species which it supports. All we are attempting to do is understand the problems that the ecology of the river is faced with, disseminate this information to our members, and see if between us we can help in any way. There are obviously many groups that are already involved with similar tasks, we are simply another one that will hopefully make a difference.

I hope this answers your questions, but please do let me know if you have any more. Will you be lending your support? The more support we get, the bigger the difference we can make.

All the best,

Cass

Hi Cass,

That is brilliant news, it is always better if people pull together and pool resources. Regarding my support, yes, you have it 100%, my time is however somewhat taken up with angling club committee business together with my involvement in the Loddon Conservation and Consultative. My club does however have a stretch of the thames and I have already approached the other committee members about getting involved more formally with the TAC. I needed to clarify this point first though and will report back positively, maybe try to appoint a formal representative to liase with your group.

Back