• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

TFG Centre pin on eBay? Anygood?

Danny Payne

Hi I'm new to this site so I hope this is in the right section, I'm just wondering if anyone has got or used the TFG centre pin thats on eBay for 50 odd quid an if it's any good!

Pretty sure the TFG reel is a badged version of the reel also sold as the Marco Cortessi reel, usually around £30- £40 from Dragon Carp and much discussed and reviewed in this thread.
£50 can get you a really decent Speedia.

Hello and welcome to the forum Danny,

Do you mean the TFG classic centrepin? If so I think Nathan Walter who frequents these forums owns one and might be able to help you,he also wrote a review of it,over on the fishtec blog.

Hope that might be of some help.

Hi I'm new to this site so I hope this is in the right section, I'm just wondering if anyone has got or used the TFG centre pin thats on eBay for 50 odd quid an if it's any good!

well it should be as efficiant as any twin bearings centrepin ,only question is on build quality ,and tfgear are usually pretty much make sure the build quality is good from their manufacturer's

the "classic" is nice looking pin ,even if it does look like a oversized fly reel ,as a open frame construction (not too my liking) it'll need regular cleaning .but its good reel for the money .i think they'd make a good trotting reel rather than a ledgering / barbel reel .

Thanks for the replies chaps, I should of said it's the classic I was looking at. It will only b used for trotting anyway is there any others I should look at, I only looked at the classic because of the RRP been £250!

Don't believe the rrp, they can say what they like to tempt a buyer. New ones have gone for as low as £4.95 plus postage on eBay.

Where did you get the RRP as £250 from! Has anybody ever paid that sort of money for one of these, I bet not. You could get a hand built real pin for the same money. Or much better several quality second hand pins.

Having given the Cortesi reel a work out this summer I can say, whilst it works OK, the build quality means it is now done for after a season! My guess is all these variations on a theme come from the same factory in China.

If you want a new bearing based reel then perhaps try the Okuma's, I have used one of the pins and it seemed very well put together. I use their fly reels and they are very well made.
But for pins for barbel best to stick with old reliable stuff like Arial Matches, Speedias etc., stuff built to last and take the hammering that they are going to get.

Last edited:
Hi Danny. I have owned all sorts of centrepins and I can honestly say I am very pleased with the TFG. I had a look at one in a tackle shop prior to even thinking of buying one and it was £130, which seemed to be the price just about everyone was charging.

They are now on offer for £50 and at that price you can't go wrong. It's a much better build quality than the Cortesi's imho. It's very easy to take the drum off, which is occasionally needed with centrepins.

I still prefer my Young's Bob James, but that cost £275 and then had a custom line guard fitted so well over £300.

Personally I don't think you'd be disappointed.

Hi Danny. I have owned all sorts of centrepins and I can honestly say I am very pleased with the TFG. I had a look at one in a tackle shop prior to even thinking of buying one and it was £130, which seemed to be the price just about everyone was charging.

They are now on offer for £50 and at that price you can't go wrong. It's a much better build quality than the Cortesi's imho. It's very easy to take the drum off, which is occasionally needed with centrepins.

I still prefer my Young's Bob James, but that cost £275 and then had a custom line guard fitted so well over £300.

Personally I don't think you'd be disappointed.

That settles it then I'm goin to purchase my first centrepin! Cheers for all the feed back!

If I wanted another pin and my budget was £50, I'd go on Ebay and get a Wide drum Speedia.

I already have one and I love it.

Back