• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Tench feeder/ledger rig.

Jon Frisby

Senior Member & Supporter
I caught my first gravel pit Tench last May and they really go dont they... Well I have just got my membership through for a very quaint spot in Yorkshire and I am looking at Tench rigs. I here lots about the Heli rig but havent a clue whether to use maggots let alone artificials, or casters etc, hooks, hooklengths etc. There isnt a big head of fish but well worth catching at 7lb's plus, I do have 2 1.75tc rods and alarms so Any help on rigs hooklengths etc would be greatly appreciated for me and fellow members.
Also its quite well sheltered and will float fish when I have a chance, but reed will be nearby so just a bit unsure what hooklength to use, baits etc.

Little bit out of my depth here but any help well appreciated....

Jon

You won't go far wrong with the helicopter rig Jon, I'd go for a lead core set up with a 6 inch hook length with a couple of plastics on the hair. I'v always done best on larger pits fishing to the back of a bar 30 to 40 yards out.

Vary things Jon, hooklinks between 2" and 6"ish, inline and heli, popped up and on the deck, Tench can be very 'riggy' and seemingly small alterations can make a big difference.
One more thing, 1-75 rods are a bit on the beefy side unless you are fishing in serious weed IMO.

Last edited:
Total agree with simon and marks comments
I've done well spodding alot of maggots
And fishing a maggot feeder helicopter style but wrapping the feeder once filled with maggots with method mix..

Luke

Last edited:
Personally I've found that putting a small PVA mesh bag of casters on the hook and fishing plastic casters on a short hair considerably outfishes maggots. I make the bag around the size of a 50p and set the hookbait at nutural bouyancy. Once the PVA has desolved the hookbait sits in a pile casters, then when a tench takes a suck at it, it's job done!

Personally I've found that putting a small PVA mesh bag of casters on the hook and fishing plastic casters on a short hair considerably outfishes maggots. I make the bag around the size of a 50p and set the hookbait at nutural bouyancy. Once the PVA has desolved the hookbait sits in a pile casters, then when a tench takes a suck at it, it's job done!

Interested what hooks and lengths you use Chris?

Also not sure what hooks and hooklengths on the Heli rig. I just don't want to get one on and lose one because i am fishing too light.

Most of the time I have a fair bit of weed to deal with and need to cast a couple of ounces 60 yards or more. My old Harrison 1.12 tc. rods are about right for this. I also use 10 lb bs mainline and 12lb sinking braid hooklinks tied to size 12 or 10 Pallatrax hooks, depending on the weed. Simon's advce on hooklinks is spot on, but generally I go for 7 or 8 inches.

Sweetcorn topped with red maggots still works very well so does Breadflake over crumb.

Direct to size 12 hook and cage feeder with crumbed bread/maggots/mushed corn inside.

Short 6lb (up it if very weedy)link of 4-6 inches max.

3-4 casts into the general area first pulling the feeder mix out......as soon as the feeder hits the surface.

Float stop 6 inches up the line above the feeder.

Or. Better still, float fish with standard waggler taking 4-6 bb shot with 3 spaced out per inch to anchor, 6 inches from bait upwards. One shot either side of waggler, smaller shot above waggler a few feet to sink the line.

Rod tip in water and gentle wind back sinking the line until the waggler pops up nicely. Slight adjustment to waggler by adding/removing shot till float tip height as you want. I strike as the float lifts...or disappears.

Simples. And more fun if the lake allows.

You won't go far wrong with that lot John, sound advice with plenty of options, all good. Of course, as you are no doubt aware, it is imperative when using a heli rig (with lead core in particular) that the top rubber stop bead and the hook link swivel will easily pass over your junction knot (where the mail line is tied to the leader). If not, and your main line snaps (the lead core won't!!) the fish is left towing lead and lead core, which is often fatal. Even with barbless hooks, the weight of that lot keeps things taught most of the time, making it difficult for the fish to get rid of it all.

Cheers, Dave.

Thanks for your answers very much appreciated. The heli rig I have been playing around with has been straight onto my mainline using the float stop rubbers or braid stops fixed to a black cap feeder. My othe rod I have been thinking of using an inline feeder with pva bags of maggots/casters/fishmeal etc.
Some things that have been brought to my attention was artificial floating maggots or casters, there is quite a few different types available, could anyone name a good brand to look at?

thanks again and any additions will be well appreciated as always.

Jon

Thanks for your answers very much appreciated. The heli rig I have been playing around with has been straight onto my mainline using the float stop rubbers or braid stops fixed to a black cap feeder. My othe rod I have been thinking of using an inline feeder with pva bags of maggots/casters/fishmeal etc.
Some things that have been brought to my attention was artificial floating maggots or casters, there is quite a few different types available, could anyone name a good brand to look at?

thanks again and any additions will be well appreciated as always.

Jon

New Article: “Artificial Baits for Tench” by Chris Turnbull | Drennan Latest — with Chris Turnbull.

Back