• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Tench 2016 - 2018 and counting ......

Quite agree, Ian, but how many anglers would pay to go tench fishing compared to the number that carp fish? That's the problem. Clubs/owners will stick with the fish that people want to catch... The best hope is for a tench project to be set up along the lines of the crucian project, although many of the new crucian waters are also being stocked with tench as they do not pose a threat to the crucians.

Dave

carp overstocking

totally agree crucians are better alternative totally , as they do not grow as big not threat to other species .
tench facts tench thrive in clear weedy water good quality water take away the weed you take away the tench .
the facts
1. too many carp will colour the water an out compete other species an eat the weed .
2. an overstocked water will lead to poor water quality , reduced growth , disease outbreaks , imbalance in food chain , ( plants an inverterbrates )
3. removal of weed will damage a fishery . less food an an lack areas to spawn on an will alter the eco system .
carp need restriction on were there allowed to be stocked .
an lastly for those that moan about weed answer is simple , fish the tench waters in prime months april ,may june before weed takes control. then just move else were or rivers .
If you want quality tench waters , the weed is all part of it .

Hi All,

About 14 months ago I moved down to the Christchurch area. Since moving down I have joined both CAC and RDAA. Last spring I neglected to do any amount of trench fishing and I am looking to put that right in the coming months. I was wondering if anyone on here could offer me any advice on a decent trench water on either book. I am not overly keen on waters with too much of a 'commercial ' appearance, preferring mature lakes for float fishing and even pits for both float and feeder. I have not really fished any of the stillwaters on either book apart from some perching trips. I was wondering if someone would be able to advise me on the quality of the fishing at waters such as hucklesbrook, Linbrook half pit, Everton grainge lake, wainsford, or holtwood? As I say I value mature fisheries with fish in good condition without line damaged mouths etc, would any of these fit the bill? I am aware the club websites state a bit about the fishing on each of these venues however much of this information has not been updated in many years and I was just looking for a good starting point, otherwise I get the classic situation I have had a few times where I turn up with the intention of fishing a venue for a species and after chatting with anglers on the bank find out that the fishing for said species has declined to virtually zero over the years and my info is hopelessly out of date! Any advice welcome. Thanks.

If possible I’d like to ask the same question but about Nottinghamshire. I moved back last year after spending all my working life in West London. I’ve joined a couple of clubs with some fantastic barbel fishing but like George I do like catching tench in spring and early summer.

Hi All,

About 14 months ago I moved down to the Christchurch area. Since moving down I have joined both CAC and RDAA. Last spring I neglected to do any amount of trench fishing and I am looking to put that right in the coming months. I was wondering if anyone on here could offer me any advice on a decent trench water on either book. I am not overly keen on waters with too much of a 'commercial ' appearance, preferring mature lakes for float fishing and even pits for both float and feeder. I have not really fished any of the stillwaters on either book apart from some perching trips. I was wondering if someone would be able to advise me on the quality of the fishing at waters such as hucklesbrook, Linbrook half pit, Everton grainge lake, wainsford, or holtwood? As I say I value mature fisheries with fish in good condition without line damaged mouths etc, would any of these fit the bill? I am aware the club websites state a bit about the fishing on each of these venues however much of this information has not been updated in many years and I was just looking for a good starting point, otherwise I get the classic situation I have had a few times where I turn up with the intention of fishing a venue for a species and after chatting with anglers on the bank find out that the fishing for said species has declined to virtually zero over the years and my info is hopelessly out of date! Any advice welcome. Thanks.
Hi George
If you like a real challenge but with the possibility of a "Big'n" you could try either Rockford or the Half Pit which both hold some monsters but are also very difficult, or
If you still want a challenge (but less so) you could give either Hucklesbrook or Hightown a go, both waters hold Tench to very good sizes and are good sized waters.
Everton Grange is very easy, very small and gets very busy, especially in the river closed season but does hold some lovely fish.
Holtwood has a stock of mainly small Tench and Crucians and for me is also too small.
I am not sure about the quality of the Tench fishing at Wainsford.
Hope that helps
Keith

Thanks Keith. That’s great info and gives me a starting point. I have walked hucklesbrook before trying to get some carp off the top, lovely lake that’s just about the perfect size for a mixed fishery really, guls were I nightmare eating all my dog biscuits before the carp could find them though! I will start there and see how I get on. I had not realised there were many tench in Hightown so will probably give that a walk at some point before the tench season starts in earnest also. Such a shame about Wainsford as you have confirmed what I had heard, it does look the ‘tenchiest’ of all! I wonder why the club don’t put some more in? All those lilies....

Thanks Keith. That’s great info and gives me a starting point. I have walked hucklesbrook before trying to get some carp off the top, lovely lake that’s just about the perfect size for a mixed fishery really, guls were I nightmare eating all my dog biscuits before the carp could find them though! I will start there and see how I get on. I had not realised there were many tench in Hightown so will probably give that a walk at some point before the tench season starts in earnest also. Such a shame about Wainsford as you have confirmed what I had heard, it does look the ‘tenchiest’ of all! I wonder why the club don’t put some more in? All those lilies....
OK mate so here are a couple of tips for Hucklesbrook and Hightown.
Hucklesbrook- Normally gin clear so margins not very productive. Do your work with a marker float or equivelant (there is a bank at about 25m where the depth goes from about 8ft to 5ft, lots of silkweed on bank but the Tench love it so fish there;)
Hightown- Can also be clear but the margins do produce so give them a go;)

Have you fish Everton recently Keith? I heard rumours that’s its been ottered. Charming venue though. I find it hit and miss personally, either I catch loads or I blank.

George,

Don't overlook Spinnaker on the Christchurch ticket. Mainly known for it's carp but has produced some very big tench in the past and should still be capable of producing some good fish. Just over the marginal shelf is as good a place to start as any but don't expect instant results and be prepared for the hordes of silver fish that are in there.

Dave

Keith that’s fantastic info thanks very much, it is certainly most appreciated! As I say I will certainly give hightown a wander soon as well and have a brief marker around on both prior to April.

David that is very interesting about spinnaker but I guess it is a case of a big fish or bust similar to Rockford and the half pit? Or are there any numbers? Big question...you speak of lots of silvers, do the silvers go to any size?

George,

Other than the carp (and, to a lesser extent, pike in the winter), the fish in Spinnaker receive little attention. There are some large bream which get caught by the carpers and I assume that the tench must also be caught occasionally. As a 'nuisance' species, the carp boys may be more forthcoming on catches, so first port of call might be to have a word with some of the carp anglers who may provide you with useful information if they don't see you as a threat (to their fishing).

Not sure about the roach but where there are small ones, there are usually bigger ones. I'm not sure if the venue is capable of producing big roach but I would not be surprised if there are some good ones in there, as it's that type of water.

Certainly worth giving it a try and perhaps you could report any catches on here under the appropriate thread.

Dave

First tench try on new lake reported to have tench and decent roach resulted in 7 carp up to estimated 18lb. Nicely coloured fish in good condition. Fun on the 14ft Hardy.
Also as barbed hooks in use only one fish had slight mouth damage as against 50 percent in another barbless water I fish.

No tench roach or crucians its meant to hold. Banks muddy as hell

First tench try on new lake reported to have tench and decent roach resulted in 7 carp up to estimated 18lb. Nicely coloured fish in good condition. Fun on the 14ft Hardy.
Also as barbed hooks in use only one fish had slight mouth damage as against 50 percent in another barbless water I fish.

No tench roach or crucians its meant to hold. Banks muddy as hell
Still very nice fishing Graham. I'm sure the other species will come. I've managed 16 tincas over the past two weeks, only up to 4-08, but good fun on a lightish tip rod and a good start given the weather we've been having. Good luck!

Amazing Rod.
Herefordshire not good for tench.
The only place I know that holds potential big ones is a bite every 6 trips....
However every pond is full of carp and small rudd.

Amazing Rod.
Herefordshire not good for tench.
The only place I know that holds potential big ones is a bite every 6 trips....
However every pond is full of carp and small rudd.
That bite rate sounds like our fishing on the Pat's and the Loddon nowadays Graham, although the Wey chub fishing is proving more reliable, albeit with smaller fish. Can't have everything in one place I suppose.

The tench are getting going better now as the weather warms up, I had my first of the year back in February but only been picking up odd fish since, yesterday though i had three including a new PB of 7.12.
bfLlhZf.jpg

Well done Steve.

A trip to the rather beautiful Combwich pond ("pond" - it's 22 acres) for me tomorrow. The tench there are my main target - they go to mid doubles and the average size is incredibly good, typically 6-7lb. BUT they've always been notoriously difficult - even more so than the big carp there, most of which are probably 50-60 years old now - and, with the forecast having it quite breezy (which usually means a blank on the Somerset levels), my confidence is pretty low. We'll see.

Back