• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Tench 2016 - 2018 and counting ......

Mamaged to get to linear and do 3 nights that turned into 4. I real struggle at the start due to poor swim selection first 24 hrs were a non starter and a move was required. Eventually managed a few carp to 27lb, a new pb catfish of 3lb 6oz
image.jpeg
and eventually 5 tench topped by a nice fish of 9lb 14oz

Mamaged to get to linear and do 3 nights that turned into 4. I real struggle at the start due to poor swim selection first 24 hrs were a non starter and a move was required. Eventually managed a few carp to 27lb, a new pb catfish of 3lb 6ozView attachment 5606 and eventually 5 tench topped by a nice fish of 9lb 14oz
Well done Jason,that's a right cracker of a tench,who cares its not doubles,it's near as dammit. They don't get much bigger.

When do you think they'll spawn? I was hoping to maybe do a short session in two weeks. Though fear that maybe too late.

Cracking Tench that Jason. How close to spawning do you reckon? Judging from pic it looks a good couple of weeks off.

Last edited:
Well done Jason,that's a right cracker of a tench,who cares its not doubles,it's near as dammit. They don't get much bigger.

When do you think they'll spawn? I was hoping to maybe do a short session in two weeks. Though fear that maybe too late.

Still worth a go down there Mark after they have spawned, one of my mates has been fishing linear for tench for the last three seasons well into July and August and has still been catching (spawned out) doubles. If there is a better fishery for big tench in the country then I don’t know where!

At linear it does seem to work that the tench spawn about 2 weeks after the carp. The only pit at linear where the tench have spawned so far is oxlease. So your perhaps right in there could be a couple of weeks left at smiths/ hardwick.

But it is a tuff tench water know with so many things against you in trying to catch them.

Still worth a go down there Mark after they have spawned, one of my mates has been fishing linear for tench for the last three seasons well into July and August and has still been catching (spawned out) doubles. If there is a better fishery for big tench in the country then I don’t know where!

been fishing there for over 10 years Joe, still can't catch a double!

Nice fish Jason.

Went to Shearwater near Warminster last week with the intention of catching tench, but got into a shoal of bream that never left. I think I caught more bream in that one session than the entirety of my fishing prior to that combined - it got to a point where they were taking it on the drop so it was a fish a cast. Unfortunately keepnets are banned, but I reckon I caught about 100, averaging 3lb. I had to break off and stalk some wildies in the margins as my arm was aching from the constant casting and reeling in. If I hadn't have done that, I reckon I would have caught a hundred more. Crazy.

Not a sniff from a tench all day. Ho-hum.

Back