• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Temperatures Rising

Ian Crook

Well, it looks like the temps down here are set to rise next week, whos out next weekend?? I knew all that camo would come in handy for something!! "What poacher, that's just a hedge!" :rolleyes:

The close season round here only lasts until 18th March, when the Trout season starts. Given that I managed to catch four of them today whilst trotting for a Barbel, no doubt when I return next Sunday armed with my fly rod I will manage to catch a Barbel:cool:

Funny isn't it, the weather always takes a turn for the better on 15th March. If only we could fish till the 1st of April.

Better still just scrap the waste of time rest period altogether. Seems to have little or no benefitial effect on fish breeding success.:eek:

Just leaves otters, mink, Cormerants, EE's etc to get on with their business unhindered for 3 months!:eek::(:mad: :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Oh and perhaps me, thinking to target eels..... They do like cheese paste and bread flake don't they.;)

The Chairman on Saturday

Or yet another desperate, whining, self-pitying, I've got the 'ump, online Close Season thread by a different name.

But as young Paul was saying to me only the other day as we clubbed a few early-spring-run salmon together - "Its purpose is to teach the piscatorially incontinent a lesson in self-restraint, Bertram.". Quite.

As ever,

B.B.

I have no problem with the close season Paul, I do have an opinion but will not get involved in the obligatory close season thread this year.

I just find it a little strange and more than a bit frustrating that the weather regularly seems to come good on or about the 15th. After trying hard and only catching a few albeit nice chub, I feel a little frustrated when I walk the bank a few days later and see the river in peak form.

I'll just have to take it out on the carp.

Three years ago tomorrow, after a stonking season after barbel (both numbers and size), I popped out for a morning session. By 10.30am I had stripped down to a T-shirt and had unzipped the legs of my Craghopper trousers to them into shorts, then did some full-on sunbathing in hopelessly bright fishing conditions until midday, when I happily packed up, walked to a pub I knew, phoned my girlfriend and told her to join me (and later drive me home). I sank an uncharacteristic day-time pint or three of ice-cold lager, drinking to the end of a great season in great company. How fishing should be, for me anyway.

Hey chaps , does anyone want to buy some salmon flys ,they look very much like lumps of luncheon meat !! srange that isnt it ?

Back