• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Taywood AS - worth joining for the Tench & Bream?

Adam Francis

Hi all.

Wondered if anyone had any experience of the Taywood AS lakes in Middx. The 2 Littleton lakes near Chertsey Bridge & the lake in Staines?

I don't live too far from the lakes & would be after the tench, bream & roach in that order so wondered how hard, stocked etc etc the lakes are & what the club is like?

Feel free to pm if you prefer & thanks in advance.

Taywood

Hi Adam,
Lakes def hold some very big Tench over 10, and the club is very friendly, well worth Littleton South, not too sure about Bream
Dave

Thanks for that. It sounds like the fishing will be fairly hard but there's some nice fish in there so I'll probably give it a go.

Thanks again.

Anyone got any other nuggets for me?

Hello Adam
Perhaps I can help you this time…… I grew up fishing these pits in the mid 70s
so my info may be a little bit out of date but hopefully you will find it interesting
ive kept in touch with the gossip over the years as you do.

Devils lane pit
Used to be twice the size it is now you can see that on google earth
It used to occupy the other field on the opposite side of the bridge
Used to be connected under the bridge….the bailey bridge
All that area back to the road was pits at one time and fantastic fishing in them all.
Used to be thousands of small tench in one of the smaller pits which used to be connected to Devils Lane
I used to catch them 3-4 inches long which is rare all day long as well
Also the larger lakes used to be full of rudd and we used to catch 30lb of rudd in a day on float using anything from maggots to bits of sausage roll always caught on float shotted near the top to allow bait to sink slowly
Carp wise used to have loads in biggest I can remember being 28lb ish mirror mainly had commons loads average size 7-15lb ..mirrors always were the largest.
I havent fished it since early 80s

I heard they removed a large number of carp commons as they became stunted im sure there will be tench still in there although think now its probably more carp orientated.

Littleton lane Pitts
Pit the workings side mainly fished for carp a lot of bait has gone in here over the years so fish of all species will have grown well
Pit non workings side (smaller one chessington side of M3) is one where I think would be best for tench and for big bream was always very clear and looked a very rich weedy water

Good Luck

Thanks for the information Gary.

The lake in Staines at Devil's lane seems to be a bit more of a mystery but everything I've heard would indicate that the Littleton pits are the ones to target for the tench & bream.

I'm trying to find out when the season starts for the club, anyone have any ideas?

Taywoodas Thames river

Adam,
Just as an aside, Taywoodas do a river alone ticket for their Sonning Thames stretch-about 13/4 miles, with some big Barbel, Chub and river Carp £30 is all it costs.

Thanks David. The stretch at Sonning was a nice surprise when I saw it on the site but the lakes are local & I'd heard they had some nice tench so that was the main reason for asking. If I join I'll be sure to have a go at the Thames stretch though, sounds like a lovely spot.

Hi Adam, I live at Hampton Court the lakes sounded great until I saw reports on the news about animals being shot by air rifles at the Devils lane lake!

Not sure about the others or the link with mid Kent fisheries but they found a dead body in the lake a few years back aswell....I will continue to look for another place to fish to I think !

I must have missed the 'shooting gallery' reports regarding Staines but the Littleton Lakes are also next to a Traveller's site which I'm sure brings it's own fun & games!

I decided against joining in the end, it was £80 to join the first year & I'm a member of Feltham & do enjoy catching a few fish at Sivyers every now & again when the fishing is rock hard elsewhere.

I couldn't justify the extra cash this year so am instead going to fish Sheepwalk a bit more to see how I fare targetting the tench in the small lake. Not easy fishing but at least I have the option of catching elsewhere on the ticket of I want to.

I googled Devils lane lake and a bbc article came up about he shooting last month probably the travellers as it was an air gun.

I'm just trying to find somewhere that isn't too commercial open during the close season and itsnt full of idiots casting over the top of you!

I'm fishing at Godalming at the minute it's ok bit too busy and you get the usual carp anglers :)

It's tough going finding suitable venues especially if you aren't fishing for Carp. I'd like to find something fairly close by if possible but haven't really found anything suitable.

I also understand that Sheepwalk may not be on the Feltham ticket any longer, not sure exactly what the situation is but the lock on the gate has been replaced & I'm waiting to hear back from the club.

I know the feeling I have almost given up until the rivers re open !

Trying to find a syndicate now but even that's tough going shouldn't be the amount of gravel pits dug to create the m3 m4 and m25!

Sheepwalk is now a CSAS water, Feltham piscatorials no longer have it.

As for Taywood, the north lake is normally very coloured as it is still being worked bt does have a reasonable head of bream and tench as well as some sizeable 'roach'. The south lake is much clearer and has much the same stock as they are connected via a channel beneath the M3. The bream can be reasonably easy and average around double figures, the tench are a tougher prospect. The proximity of the travellers site does cause problems with some of the residents roaming the banks and you definitely have to keep your hand on your ha'penny when they are about, they will lift anything not nailed down. I also had a problem with them throwing rocks at the bivvy whilst I was fishing there. Not sure its worth the trouble.

Thanks Mic.

I'd heard similar tales regarding the Littleton lakes so decided not to join in the end as I can't be dealing with that sh*t when I'm fishing. Unfortunately it seems to be a common issue with many of the waters so I joined Feltham again but it will be the last year. I'll probably end up joining the Civil Service next season as they have a fair variety of waters that are local to me.

The only other option is to join a club like Woking where you can be 'locked in' but although the waters are meant to be nice I heard the members can be a required taste & it doesn't really sound like my kind of thing but I could be wrong?

With the abundance of lakes around the M3, M25 & A3 you'd have thought there would be plenty of potential tench lakes but they seem rather thin on the ground?

Sheepwalk

Being a member of Feltham i have not heard anything regarding the loss of sheepwalk, information usually comes round via a one-winged carrier pidgeon :)

I can understand why Jeff, regarding the fact there is no note on the website & it's still included in the booklet that has been sent out from the club but it has gone, trust me!

Depends on who you speak to as to the real reason but the Civil Service have announced it to all their members that they now manage it.

After the loss of the Kennet last season & now Sheepwalk & nothing to replace it this will be most definitely be my last year with the club.

Sheepwalk

Thanks Adam

Sheepwalk was not for me, why was it given up?

If they lose any more waters i too will consider my membership

Regards Jeff

Last edited:
Different accounts that I've heard but wouldn't be appropriate repeating something I'm not entirely sure is true.

Fact of the matter is they've lost it & the Civil Service has it. They seem to focus solely on the match angler it seems, which considering the relatively small number of participants in the matches compared to the size of the club is odd to me?

Back