• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Take Cover

Stephen Scaysbrook

I was fishing on the River Soar last night. I started to feel in to pack up when I became snagged. I gave a couple of good pull's and it came free but the snag came with the tackle. I lifted it in the landing net because of the weight and just look what it was and the hook was through the ring pull. Thankfully it was rusted in. We had police all over the place and were waiting for the bomb squad.

http://s100.photobucket.com/albums/m2/scaz47/?action=view&current=HandGranade.jpg

You lucky boy Scaz. That looks like a Mills Bomb. They have an effective killing range of 30 yards plus, even more on hard ground. Maybe a WW2 trophy that was thrown away or someone fishing for the pot. In my time in the Army I have thrown a few of those and they don't half go with a bang.
Dave

As an X Bomb disposal officer, the advice i gave to anyone, who found something suspicious is report to the police, no matter how trivial. It does look like a Mills grenade, but on my first sight of it, i would have been chuffed to see the pin still in. Then its just a matter of disposal, which would be a small sympathetic explosion next to the grenade, heavily sand bagged, depending on either it being a rural or urban area.

Jon

Well thats made me a little nervous before I head to the Wye!

Adam

Had a couple of scary moments digging for lugworm. Found some ammo well corroded a couple of times.
Cheers
Bob

I think that takes the "exploding ground bait" to a new level LOL

that is both scary and fascinating. I know nothing about explosives so i'd probably be fried by now if I'd "caught" this beastie...

What a catch??

Knowing my luck the pin would have come out at the net..............

Im glad nothing of the sort happened to you though. A good story around the stove on a dark night though lol

I'll stick to using Dynamite baits.......................I'll get my coat!

Trevor

there's a few grenades being thrown on a different thread:D

Last edited:
Back