• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Tackle manufacture public relations

Brian Willson

Senior Member & Supporter
There is nothing worse than buying an item and you find a problem, so you try to notify the makers with no success, i don't think it's fair at this point to name and shame the bad ones who do not respond to your call, but who knows i might change my mind under pressure, but we can name the ones that have responded with success.
FOX...DRENNAN....WYCHWOOD...HARRISON...SHIMANO...DAIWA...DYNAMITE
They are the ones i can remember.
Fox and Daiwa answered questions about there products.
Wychwood sent me a new bag via Davis Tackle, even though i bought the bag in the Midlands.
Drennan sent me some new plastic ends for the Twistlock landing net.
Peter Drennan also sent me a letter with some hooks, because i had some of his hooks that were not tempered.
Shimano have sent my reel back by return of post, no charge.
Harrison have repaired a defective rod.
Dynamite sent me a massive box of bait after i found some defective.
So well done and many thanks.
Brian the Moaner........alias winging willson.

Cant name company but bought an item for start of season and it wasnt up to the job contacted them to be told they hadnt anymore on stock and some would be coming soon but they had an ex demo that they would swap the faulty one for til new stock arrived this turned out to have same fault and another one, 5 months down the line and despite emailing them to chase it up they were still insisting none been delivered , well 2 weeks ago I had had enough and emailed saying I wanted it sorting or a full refund , got 3 reply 2 days later saying they would either repair the faulty one the best they could or I could send it back and have a credit note , sent email back inquiring about the delivery they had in September , no reply so emailed again saying I was entitled to a full cash refund and thats what I wanted , email back from person dealing with saying she hadnt been the office for 2 days as her kids were ill and that they had done all they could and that they had given me good service and she had now passed all my correspondence onto the owner that was 5 days ago and nothing so tomorow they will be getting email to be passed to owner saying item packed and waiting for refund and return instructions and of they dont get back to me then Trading Standards would be getting a call !!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
ive got couple of korum kxi50s that had the plastic teeth on the handle (where it meets reel by the folding mech. & covers the thing goes through the reel) break off, so i went to their place in telford (luckily i live really close), showed the chap there & he just went into the warehouse & got me two new ones, no questions asked, totally free.
i appreciate it was probably through misuse by me but hey. big up to korum (preston inovations).
thanks again to them

Interesting Kevin - never had a problem with Fox, they even have a spares catalogue online. Does suggest their stuff breaks a lot but at least you can order a replacement! Of all those Brian mentioned Wychwood's customer services are top class.

A pair of hook cutters fell apart at the fulcrum first time out. After inspection the fox rip, sorry rep said misuse. What spare do you order for that?

it took 3 months to get a spare spool for my mitchell years ago...lol
thank god for shimano.

Brian
Interesting your experience with fox, mine is totally the opposite.

same here, sent 3 emails inquiring about a replacement tip section for a rod because the price wasnt on the page and still had no reply!!! leaves a bit of bitter taste when i think how much money i've put their way over the years

but we can name the ones that have responded with success.
FOX...DRENNAN....WYCHWOOD...HARRISON...SHIMANO...DAIWA...DYNAMITE
They are the ones i can remember.

Please add NASH to that list. My chair canvass seat frayed after 10 mths use. Nash confirmed it was in warranty within 2 hrs of my e-mail and via the retailer I had a replacement within 5 days. Excellent service

Brian
Interesting your experience with fox, mine is totally the opposite.
Why i contacted Fox was to enquire about one of their new jackets, it was not a complaint, and the lad at Fox was very helpful, all i wanted to know was, did it have an inside phone pocket, not one of their catalogues or website mentioned it, so he popped down to the showroom for a manual check........the answer was yes, they do have an inside phone pocket on the two tone jacket, so if you have one of those expensive smart phones, it should be safe on these jackets.
In fact one of you lads mentioned one company that you praised, whilst i had big problems with them.
So it could well be the staff that is on duty that day and not company policy.

Brian.

well if this thread is also about good service perhaps?
big thumbs up to ringwood tackle, bought a chair for the other half and after a few trips out i noticed in her usual alert taking in the fresh air way:D she was not far off falling off down into the river due to one of the legs almost being fully retracted..so woke her up:rolleyes: and she said it happened all the time even the first trip out with it but didnt tell me..called ringwood and he said next time im down that way just pop it back..took it back a few weeks later and he offered refund, credit or a replacement..top service! so used the credit up on a new landing net and handle :D

Why i contacted Fox was to enquire about one of their new jackets, it was not a complaint, and the lad at Fox was very helpful, all i wanted to know was, did it have an inside phone pocket, not one of their catalogues or website mentioned it, so he popped down to the showroom for a manual check........the answer was yes, they do have an inside phone pocket on the two tone jacket, so if you have one of those expensive smart phones, it should be safe on these jackets.
In fact one of you lads mentioned one company that you praised, whilst i had big problems with them.
So it could well be the staff that is on duty that day and not company policy.

Brian.

In my experience, it can be a culture thing of the organisation, usually filters down from the top and/or as you so rightly pointed out depends who you get hold of on the day.

Drennan showed absolutely no interest in my complaint about the tip section of my newly purchased power barbel that broke. All they wanted was for me to buy a replacement tip section. I took it to the shop, waited for their agent to look at it and all he said was "mmmm not our fault" and that was it, end of. Not at all happy with that considering the amount of their gear I have purchased over the years.

i recently had to return items back to fox and chub due to faults. Both items were returned with accompanying letters explaining those faults and whilst i didn't receive return postage costs, i did get full replacements within a very quick time.

Back