• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Tackle for the Trent

I have just been offered by a friend the following tackle that he used for Barbel fishing on the lower Seven, for £250 as he has packed up fishing for golf

I normally fish the upper Seven and the river Dane but this year I want to fish the Trent, do you think that they will be to heavier tackle for the Trent

2 x Shimano Baitrunners 10000 xte
2 x Wychwood Maximiser Twin Tip 13ft 2lb/2.5lb Rod

Hello Peter,

Reasonable price for the gear - could be cheeky & ask him to throw somethng else in the clinch the deal!!

Depends on where on the Trent you intend to fish & what seasons. The reels are probably a bit on the big side, when fully loaded, with the wieght of the rod, could be a little more cumbersome than you need. Just looking at the reel spec's, they hold 350m of 14lb line or 430m of 12lb.

The rod's TC is fine as long as it has a bit of give through the rod. The extra foot on the rods probably unnecessary for most summer flow conditions. These might come into their own during flood conditions.

To be honest, most of the fishing on the middle Trent one can get away with leads less than 3oz, fishing a few rod lengths out with 10-12lb line. For barbelling I have used a variety of rods (carp, pike & ledger rods) & reels (emblems, basia's & a no. of shimano baitrunners) - my present setup is a bit of a mismatch combining carp & coarse tackle. For instance, I am using 2.75tc century blanks build by Nick Bus (£275 each) but then am coupling these up with cheap, small shimano baitrunners (£30 each).

The rods are the main thing coupled to a decent pod or stick arrangement that gives one the flexibility to elevate the rod where necessary. For the most tho, throw out a 2-3oz gripper no more than 20 yards, with 12lb line & have a good scrappy fight regardless of the tackle.

For flood fishing, again keep it in the edge, have a few heavier leads to 6oz in the bag. The extra foot might be a slight advantage to create the acute angle, but again, a good pod/stick arrangement can achieve this.

Some anglers like the flexibility to throw a lead 50 yards across the Trent. For that, the bigger spool for the quicker retrieve & the extra foot could be slightly more convenient. For my approach I very rarely cast beyond the middle (30 yards).

I would probably use what gear you presently have & give it a go first. Then readdress in due course.

If you want any extra info, drop us a pm.

Cheers, Jon

The maximizers are excellent flood/big river rods Peter,i've got one myself and love it,loads of power but still sensitive in the tip.They'll easily chuck 8oz+ if you need too, they've a nice fish playing action too.I reckon they'd be ideal for the trent.:)

Heard good things about those maximisers, 13 foot is a benefit too, and think it is a good length for the Trent. If it can chuck 8oz plus thats good too as you may need to. I say get something that you wont feel out gunned in whatever the flow.
I could go on and on about Trent Tackle and so could a lot of others.

Jon

I agree with Jon F, I think that while in the summer you can get away with much lighter tackle it sounds as though you already own such tackle as you use it currently. The heavy reels are not really that much of a disadvantage as fishing on the Trent is predominately static. You can of course adopt a roving approach but again you probably own suitable tackle for that already. What this gives you is a set up that will allow you to fish the Trent all year round in all conditions. When there is flood water in the river you will need 6oz plus and that set up will cope admirably.
I don't disagree with Jon W as such I just feel that if you can spare the cash then you will be able to fish in any situation.

Conrad

Thanks for all of the information guys I think I will take the plundge and buy them of him

Like you say they will come in handy we the Trent is in flood

Fair comment Jon & Conrad - larger reels with the 13ft rods, should balance well.

Good luck on the Trent Peter.

Cheers, Jon

Back