• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Sussex Barbel day ticket waters

Richard White 2

Hi all! I unfortunately have to attend a wedding in Sussex and thought to make sure it wasn't a completely wasted journey I would try to get some fishing in!
I have scoured the web for day ticket waters but it seems that most clubs only allow guests with members!
Has anyone had any success finding and fishing this area on a day ticket or free fishing? I see that barbel in this area are few and far between so I fully expect to blank(which I mostly do at home) but it would be nice to blank somewhere else for a change!
Thanks in advance for any info !

Swan Meadow on the Arun, upstream from the bridge at Pulborough is available to fish on a day ticket, I believe. You used to be able to get tickets from the cafe by the bridge. But just had a quick google and looks like it closed down in 2023. Not sure if anyone else has taken it on and if that arrangement is still in place.

Looks like tickets are available from CALPAC though.

Haven’t fished there for six or seven years, but used to get some good mixed results - Roach, Perch, Chub & Dace. I heard that the stretch had thrown up some Barbel in matches on there. No reason why they shouldn’t be there, albeit sparsely… I never saw another angler there in my ten or so trips.

It’s certainly an interesting looking stretch , if you’re prepared for a walk to the upper end, particularly.

There’s a launching spot by the bridge too, so be prepare for a few kayaks, etc. Especially if the weather is nice.

There are free stretches of the Arun dotted about, but no idea regarding where they start & finish, parking, etc.

Don’t know about anywhere on the Rother, unfortunately.

Obvious free stretch is at Bury, off the A29. West Bank. No day tickets that i know of. Bream and Roach are probably the main species there, with the odd mullet on the up-tide.... Take a long landing net handle with you.

Back