• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Surrounded by water.......

Chris Jones

...... but simply can't be bothered to fish. It's that nasty stuff with salt in it with barely more than a trickle of freshwater for miles. Why is it that I'm missing my fishing but can't summon the motivation to fish in the big briney?:confused::confused:

Chuck a lure or jelly worm around for Bass or Pollock..... you'll soon remember why your a fisherman.....

Or better still, put on a 5mm full length wet suit and a snorkel and mask and swim around the rocks or kelp..... stunning......

Steve

Yeah, hook a big bass and you'll want another!

catch a big bass...or even more so a gilthead bream and you are hooked for life. Sea fishing the southwest has taken me to some of the most stunning places in the country that you just wouldn't head for otherwise.
Incidently the gilthead is the only fish we have in our saltwaters that pound for pound matches and quite possibly exceeds the strength of the barbel. (apart from game fish)

I do know how you feel though, when i first started sea angling it was a huge 'where the hell do i start' syndrome that made motivation tricky, there was just soooo much water...and the addage is the same, 10% of the water holds 90% of the fish.

Last edited:
chuck a spinner of the beech, rocks or queyside. you never know what you might catch.
failing that just sit around mopping all day & torturing yourself ;)

Go for mullet, 6lb line, floatrod, bread flake, frustrtating as hell, but tremendous scrappers, and if your inclined, good eating too.
peter

Back