• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Surprise visitor

Paul Bullinger

Senior Member & Supporter
Whilst watching my static rod tip on the River Wye last week my attention was taken by this large insect that decided (unlike the barbel) that my halibut pellets were rather tasty. I have been told its a Sexton Beetle and it was rather impressive I have to say. Screenshot_20240918-092350_Gallery_resized.jpg

I was joined by a peregrine, for about two hours on the Avon, near Bidford, yesterday. It swept over the river several times and twice wheeled away right over my head, so it must have known I was there. It felt like a privilege to be in its company.

I was also joined by a barbel, but it shook off the hook just as I was netting it. I didn't have the same warm feeling when it wheeled away. 😁

I was joined by a peregrine, for about two hours on the Avon, near Bidford, yesterday. It swept over the river several times and twice wheeled away right over my head, so it must have known I was there. It felt like a privilege to be in its company.

I was also joined by a barbel, but it shook off the hook just as I was netting it. I didn't have the same warm feeling when it wheeled away. 😁
I was privileged to see a peregrine in a dogfight with a buzzard last week on the Severn
Also green & less spotted woodpeckers , nuthatch and a raven flying over - awesome

I was privileged to see a peregrine in a dogfight with a buzzard last week on the Severn

I doubt that would be a serious fight - just jostling for territory. Neither bird would risk injury when there's nothing to be gained. It's the same with most birds, where neither are prey - it's why buzzards don't put up a fight against crows... just not worth it.

Back