• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Sun burn.

Jon Frisby

Senior Member & Supporter
Keep this is mind if your out and about this weekend, i made a mistake yesterday by forgetting my sun cream. ouch...

I remember my father telling me once, how when he was a young man he had fallen asleep on Brighton beach and had consequently "crab-sticked" himself, pink on one side, white on t'other. A nurse, of all people, had told him that the best way to take the sting out of the sunburn was to put some mustard in a bath of warm water and to immerse one's self into said potion. Needless to say, I didn't heed the same advice he gave me when, as a teenager, I crab-sticked myself on a beech in Lanzarote.

Haydn

P.S Lidl had, and probably still have, some cheap, small tubes of various factor suncream, it's good stuff.

Being a ginger (should that be strawberry blonde?) i always have to be mindful of the sun even in the depths of winter!

Water & sun equals double trouble!

Fellow ginger here too Trevor & had the red salmon effect by yesterday dinner whilst digging out foundations for a patio. Cold shower last night & well covered up today. I have two patio's & a path to lay from now till Sunday - not the best weather for the manual work.

Cheers, Jon

I am not a ginger, but after this incredibly long winter, i was as white as a sheet until yesterday and tbh i should have known better, the cold shower had a great affect, plus lots of moisturiser. One for the shopping list - get some suncream for my Barbel bag...
Jon, i feel for you, some factor 50spf should do the job, and dont forget your fluid intake.

Suntan cream + hot weather + manual work = stinging eyes!!!

I run alot and have yet to find a suntan cream that stays put and doesn't turn into water the moment you start to exert yourself!!!

Roll on the colder weather

Trevor

Jon F - I am almost looking like a berka clad muslim & good advice.

For fishing I am always minded to get sun cream that adhere's well (ie one application for day & does not come off whilst sweating) & is more water proof. Costs a bit more mind. If your more dark skinned Riemann P20 is a great product, alcohol based in part. Trevor - unfortunately for us they have not a higher factor...yet.

I am minded that on application, ones hands can stink so probably best to wash hands with alcohol wipes, then I use river water, scrubbing with gravel washing hands with one of those stainless steel soaps so not to imbue smell onto my bait.

Last edited:
:D

Im blonde and fair skinned well l was blonde bald as a coot now but l always have suncream with me when lm on the bank...
One thing to remember if ye use a brolly to keep off the sun < A. it attracts mossies so bite creams essential and B. Dont stick ye hand out the brolly l did that once had a foot of red skin and alot of white...:D
Also take wasp cream with me...
And my medication for my mild epilepsy thats why l never fish alone but up to now lve never had a seizure on the bank..

Cheers

In addition to all the above, wear a wide-rimmed hat (or peaked cap), a shirt with a collar, and polaroids. I find that the glare of reflective light from water surfaces gives me a searing headache if I don't wear the latter. Finally, always use suncream on cloudy days during the summer months.

A few years ago I had what doctors thought was a basal cell carcinoma on the end of my nose (these can be caused by over-exposure to UV rays) and had to have it removed. The anaesthetic injection in my nose has got to be the most painful experience I have had!! So think on, when basking in the sun.

Suntan cream + hot weather + manual work = stinging eyes!!!

I run alot and have yet to find a suntan cream that stays put and doesn't turn into water the moment you start to exert yourself!!!

Roll on the colder weather

Trevor
Have you tried this one from the site Gary suggested? They do a range of sport protection.
"Absorbs quickly so it won't run into your eyes and slow you down".
"Very water and sweat resistant".

Could have done with it myself, my forehead's very sore today. I wasn't building patios though, I was sitting in the beer garden of England's finest pub (the Kirkstile Inn at Loweswater), gazing at the Cumbrian Fells in the sunshine, watching an obliging red squirrel hopping along the garden fence, and supping a pint (or two) of the gorgeous Loweswater Gold. There not much that beats a really good day's fishing, but that did...

Nice one for that link Andy. Just checked some reviews on this extensive range - affordable & seemingly just the kiddy.

Jon

PS sounds like you had a better weekend than I...

Will be going to Asda in the next few days to buy some, as Jon says 'just the kiddy!' Had a look at P20 but the price of it put me off even if it is meant to be the dogs wotsits!

Trevor

Luckily after looking like a lobster last week, and using some after sun, i have turned a golden brown, ready for the New Season.
Trevor, you cant beat Thawsby Market for some sun screen, open this BH weekend. The Asda spry on is suuuperb too..

Riemann's P20 is as good as it gets - you only have to apply it once a day 90 minutes before going in the sun- it bonds with the melanin in your skin, you can swim, sweat anything and you don't know you are wearing it. I'm not sure of the science behind it but it's the dogs bits. not cheap but a little goes a long way.. I think they also do a P30 too.

Back