• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Suitable Barbel Rod for Wye/Severn

Dave Hill

I have mainly fished relatively small rivers like Loddon/Kennet/Colne and having had a couple of years out of the fishing scene want to broaden my horizons!

Can anyone recommend a good rod for Wye/Severn fishing that will cope with most conditions? I have seen good reviews for the Wychwood Rogue, would 1.75 TC or 2lb TC be best?

I had hoped to have a budget for more than £60 on a rod but sadly my car took care of my funds pre MOT :( !

Any thoughts/ideas?

Wychwood rods are very good value for money. If you can though, I'd go for a korum neoteric - 1.75 and 2.2 tips. I'm told they are excellent.

I have a few wychwoods and they are very good for the money, A 2lb tc would be my choice if I was only buying one for the Wye as a few feet of extra water and a 1.75tc can see you undergunned.

I have a 1.5lb greys progidy barbel rod - throws out a 3oz feeder to the far bank no problem at all.

Back