• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Sturgeon

Ray Ellis

I intend to have a go at catching a Sturgeon soon. I have been reading the fishery rules and am a bit confused re this one

Minimum 15lb main line (recommended 20lb) 25lb coated braid hook link. Although we recommend 40lb hook link.

Surely the mainline should be stronger then the hooklength

hi Ray, not always the case depending on type of fish and also type of bottom (snags ect) and lastly type of line used for hook lengths mate:)
blimey mate your getting about a bit eh,

hi Ray, not always the case depending on type of fish and also type of bottom (snags ect) and lastly type of line used for hook lengths mate:)

Hi JW, I am still confused JW, i would have thought that if you lost a fish or snagged up, then surely the hooklength snapping off would leave a fish trailing much less line than if the mainline went, same with a snag, the less line lost the better.

blimey mate your getting about a bit eh,

Theres big Sturgeon with my name on them, only an hour away from me :D

Ray the sturgeon(white) i have caught have scutes( that's what they call them in Canada) running along the lateral line which can be like sharpened guitar plectrums they can cut line so possibly that's the reason.Because the mouth is underslung and nose pointed the line can come along the fishes side when playing them.Be careful when taking a photo you can get cut easily by these scutes.

Ray the sturgeon(white) i have caught have scutes( that's what they call them in Canada) running along the lateral line which can be like sharpened guitar plectrums they can cut line so possibly that's the reason.Because the mouth is underslung and nose pointed the line can come along the fishes side when playing them.Be careful when taking a photo you can get cut easily by these scutes.

Cheers Mark. I intend to use 18lb Daiwa sensor for the mainline, will have to get some heavy braid. What length of hooklength do you recommend.

I was fishing for massive sturgeon and the hook lengths were around 6ft ,but i would think 3 ft would be fine.Its probably a good idea to ring the lake and ask for their advise.The bait we were using was 2 week old rotten salmon, cut into strips,(stinky bait)if you fancy something different,Ha Ha, 4 years on the smell is still in my nose.

I was fishing for massive sturgeon and the hook lengths were around 6ft ,but i would think 3 ft would be fine.Its probably a good idea to ring the lake and ask for their advise.The bait we were using was 2 week old rotten salmon, cut into strips,(stinky bait)if you fancy something different,Ha Ha, 4 years on the smell is still in my nose.

I was thinking of using Mackerel or Pilchards etc, i think i will give the stinky Salmon a miss though :eek:.

JW, i will send you the caviar ;)

Caught quite a few UK sturgeon up to 90lb or so. Have always found the best bait to be a small roach, alive or dead, fished in the margins.

Back