• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Stret pegging on rivers

Steven Ballard

Hi all, after just watching catching the impossible, the one where they go to ringwood-christchurch etc. Martin bowler stret pegs the margins for river carp, but doesnt use a float- just a quill- if anybody could advise me on this rig,that would be great.
Cheers

Hi Steven. I have managed a large number of barbel on the St Pats and Loddon over the years using the method I class as stret pegging. It is ideal to fish between streamer weed or deeper inside line drop offs.

Firstly you will need a powerful float rod / tench rod ideally 13ft to get max benefit. I would use 6-9lb line.

The most important aspect is the depth youset the float and you fish at. This should be set a nominal 9 inches to 1 foot overdepth. My choice of float would be at least a 5bb stick.
The float must be attached top/bottom.

Also, unusually, you should bulk most of the shot about 6 inches or slightly more from the hook.
AND have more shot on the line than the float can take...at least 2 bb.

The whole idea is to work the bait downstream, in stages, in line with your rod tip after casting out downstream just below level with where you are sitting.

You will find that the float will swing around (weed permitting) being tautish with your tip.
I would put the rod in the rod rest, and every now and again pull off a foot or so of line to work the swim, after a slight lift of the tip.

The whole idea is to get the hookbait moving with the currents flow, up, down and across, searching between the weed. You will find that the float will sometimes lay flat, as per the example you mentioned with MB. I would suggest he was just using the Quill as an indicater rather than true stret pegging.

You will find that the float will sometimes drag under, sometimes lay a bit flat etc.

BUt Bites will be like a typical barbel bite.....wham.

Most succesful for me was with using tares nicked on a size 12 hook and feeding hemp at my feet little and often. Of course maggots/casters etc. your choice.

Hope it all makes sense. Not unlike very light legering really.

Graham

Last edited:
I USED to catch on this method for boris, very rewarding with what Graham favors, hemp and tares. Also with a giant grain of hemp on a size 14. (spades only for this game)

The feed needs to be trickled in, little and often. Sometimes bait-dropping a pint or so from when you first arrive at the peg.

Go easy with the tares, and take time practicing hooking the stuff, before your outing, if you've not used this method. (bought prepared tares are inferior)

I always cook my hemp with a little dark soft brown sugar, then strain off the liqueur after it's cooked and cook my tares in the same liqueur, adding a teaspoon of bicarb, just as the tares start to boil. They need to only to be just be boiling, a gentle simmer. Always cook in a much larger pot than what would seem normal, as the water fizzes when you add the bicarb.

When your tares are cooked, (no where as long as hemp), strain them off and spread them over a baking sheet or tray, never cool them in cold water, as this will wash flavour and some colour away.

A few red, dyed pieces of corn make an alternative to the tare, but don't feed the corn, keep just for the hook. ;)

Back