• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Straightening coated braid

Fair point Trevor
I can’t see any real benefits in going so heavy personally but different people with different systems n all that.

Hi men ,

If you actually test tungsten alongside normal coated braid the difference is minimal for river fishing , and only slightly better for carp fishing / Stillwater . Good marketing has seen us buying spools with half the amount for the same price 😉

Hatter

The 20lb hook-length would only be a problem for me due to using a 4-6ft length of mono (15lb Ghost) between my mainline (30lb braid on the Lower Severn) and my coated braid (12lb) hook-length...used as a 'shock absorber'. If I wanted extra weight on my hook length I'd use a dab of tungsten putty.

I decided to get some of the Gardner Ultra Skin to try and really like it so I ordered some for the BFW shop:

My only criticism of it is that it's not that easy to get a clean edge when you strip it. I'm going to get some of there Stripper Tools in as that's what they suggest you use...

Cheers,

Andy

Hi men ,

I'm old fashioned and strip it with my teeth 🙂, then if I have to pick at it , but it's never been a hassle . It's what makes it a good coating that means it stretches when you do break it, rather than many of the brittle coatings which also break the coating at knots .

Hatter

I decided to get some of the Gardner Ultra Skin to try and really like it so I ordered some for the BFW shop:

My only criticism of it is that it's not that easy to get a clean edge when you strip it. I'm going to get some of there Stripper Tools in as that's what they suggest you use...

Cheers,

Andy
For many years I pee'ed about using my nails to strip the coating from braid, until I finally 'splashed out' a few months ago. One of my 'Best Buys' of 2019, and well worth the £2.99!

PS...it's a knot-puller as well :)

Back