• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Stillwater Chub.

Colin Gordon

No Longer a Member
I'm not looking for a debate on the rights and wrongs of them.
I know their instinctive behaviour seems very similar, infact if not present in any numbers they appear even more cagey and 'cute' than there river counterparts.
But do they actively feed in colder water temps and during foul weather in the alleged warmer months?

Any thoughts and experiences please.

Last edited:
Look to the very early season for some very unconventional encounters.

Hate to harp on about a Long Lost Past, but way back, forty-odd years ago, Boyers once had a Little, Colne Valley, pit that, unknown to everyone except me and a good mate, was full of chub - courtesy of a feeder Ditch (the pit has gone; the Ditch, which came out of the main river, still just about flows).

Early season, warm weather: chub cruising the whole pit in the surface layer; little me, as a begun-a-few-years-earlier squit, did a fishy reading: intercept them - tiny spinners (Veltic, Voblex, early Mepps), floating crust cast with a water-loaded bubble-float...

Both worked for BIG chub (back then).

Last edited:
Yep, they will feed in the coldest of weathers in stillwaters, best way to target them is Wag and Mag fished shallow by just spraying maggots over a wide area, it may take sometime for them to turn up but when they do you should have a great days fishing ;)

Cheers for the replies Paul and Nic, I think I'll first try wag and mag, then if the roach prove too troublesome move over to small lures.
Floating baits isn't a good option as the carp av. 20lb+ are there like a shot.
20lb carp, 4lb line in a weedy lake:eek:, I'll pass on that.;)

They will certainly feed in the coldest weather. On really bitter days a maggot feeder approach may work better and has the added bonus of appealing to any large perch there might be in the water.

In warmer weather, the pellet waggler method has caught me lots of stillwater chub and some good ones too, my first 5lber fell this way.
Great fun method too. It doesn't have to be summer - just a warm spring day will get them cruising for food.

Good luck.

Hi all,would be really greatful if someone could recommend a still water with a good head of chub. I live in the north london/hertfordshire area,cheers

Back