• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

!st Tench

I did a night session with my brother in law on Friday and we had a good session and banked afew but we also dropped afew which I can only put down to the lack of shock absorber characteristics in the very short rigs, the feeder being very close to the fish during the fight and the fact they are quite an iratic fish that make fast sudden direction changes.

I’ve made up a couple of inline feeders that I hope might resolve the problem. I’ve gone to 5” hook links rather than 4” but the feeder link itself I’ve used doubled up 14lb powergum to act as a shock absorber at close quarters and hopefully stop them being knocked off so easily. View attachment 15272
I'm looking at the pics of your feeder rigs, I'm wondering how the feeder can be dropped in the event of a breakage of the main line? If not, then a fish could be towing the rig around, risking getting weeded up and a slow death.

I'm looking at the pics of your feeder rigs, I'm wondering how the feeder can be dropped in the event of a breakage of the main line? If not, then a fish could be towing the rig around, risking getting weeded up and a slow death.
You know I haven’t given much thought about that Steve. It’s a solid point and one I can certainly rectify. The hook link itself is considerably lighter and weaker than the main line but your right that in the unlikely event of a main line breaking if she doesn’t shift the hook that’s a problem. I’ll make some modifications to them to ensure they can be ejected

Back