• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Spod type rod

Richard Burton

Any body recomend a CHEAP rod for just throwng in a very large baitdropper full of hemp and pellets, it holds half a pint.
Tried a 2lb test curve "playing rod" no good.

Richard, my spod rod is a Daiwa Mission 4lb test. Perfectly capable of launching a large spod 100+ yards, max casting weight is 12oz though is perfectly up to throwing a lot more.
Should be able to pick one up for under 50 quid, have a butchers at flea bay.

I should add that its a damned sight better a rod than the Free Spirit one I used to own before buying this one.
But TBH unless you're likely to be feeding at ranges beyond 50 yards I'd sooner go with a 3lb test carp rod.
As its action will aid casting without having to dramatically alter your casting style.

Richard, i find a 6-8 oz cheap beachcasting rod does the job comfortably, even with the monster size droppers...j.w

you can buy a decent 3.5lbtc carp rod now for £60.00, that will do.

Richard,

Try the bottom section from an old rod only. You'll be surprised just how far you can 'cast' a big dropper with one (underarm only)

Trust me, I was very sceptical about it until I saw it demonstrated and then tried it myself - it works..

Regards

Tommo

Hi Richard,
JRC do a spod rod for less than £30. Try J&K tackle Bicester.
I have used one of these for the same thing on the thames.
No problems with it after some real abuse.
Paul.

it works, but a little weird, i snapped the top end of a rod years ago and still caught a pike on the bottom bit.

Richard - if your 1/2 pint baitdropper is a Seymo one, which weighs 8oz when empty, i'd be tempted to look at a powerfull spod rod ( 4 - 5lb tc ) or a beachcaster if your looking to use it at ranges over 20yds on bigger rivers. Loads of cheap beachcasters on the market that will do it but you might get some funny looks with one clipped to your rod quiver! ;) Saying that, no where near as many as you get when the dropper hit's the water! :eek:

Back