• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Split cane rods

Robert , are you looking for a 2 or 3 piece rod , would it be for Barbel or other species , float . ledger or both ? There is a recent thread on page 2 of the barbel talk page on here that you might find useful

Last edited:
Any of the various 10’ carp rods should fit the bill: B James mk IV, Chapmans 550 (the later probably a fair bit cheaper than the former) , J. B. Walker, Constable Carp De-luxe; Allcocks Carp Superb....

Most of the makers made a version of a ten foot carp rod. Personally, I would avoid an Avon as I find them just a tad under-gunned for barbel, but I suppose this is very much dependent upon which river and what stamp of barbel you are likely to connect with. Regardless, I know of at least two Avons that have been knackered by barbel fishing. Also, do you have a specific reason for wanting a two-piece ten footer? I find the length a little limiting myself and I find 11 foot far better on the rivers. If you go for a three piece eleven, or even twelve footer then there are plenty of strong rods that would suit: Allcock Adonis, Rodrill ( I have three of these, all of which are great for barbel fishing - I’ve had my PB barbel at 13.12 and carp to over 20lb on it with no tears or even squeaky bum), Edgar Sealey Octofloat is another 11 footer that should cope with decent sized barbel ok. Twelve footers: Marco‘s Arun is a strong rod as Lee &Sons Aquila. There are lots of others of course but there’s a few to think of.

Last edited:
Robert , I would broadly agree with Haydn's comments . 10FT 2 piece Avon rods are fine for Barbel in a situation where you you are using light leads and you don't have to apply maximum pressure to stop a fish in it's tracks . Several of the Edgar Sealey and MARCO rods are fine for what you need and a lot less money than a 2 piece 10ft Avon where you would be paying £225 + for a good quality 2nd hand model + they are made in several lengths from 10ft 6 inch to 12 ft . Whatever you decide upon if you wish let me know and I may have or be able to source something to meet your needs

Back