• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Speedia ratchet pin

David Robson

Senior Member & Supporter
Ive just purchased a lovely conditioned Speedia which seems to have had the ratchet set for right hand retrieve, but when i turn the pin over it doesnt engage the cog properly. Is this normal for the Speedia as there is no signs of wear on the ratchet pin.? Thanks Dave

Sounds like the pawl might have been turned around. Put a photo up and somebody might be able to tell you what to do.
Sorry, thats what i meant the pawl/pin. Ive turned it around but its not engaging unfortunately. I'll buy a new pawl if any one can recommend some where to buy one from? Thanks

Garry Mills for the replacement pawl but if it’s not showing any wear then I’d guess that the problem is nothing to do with the pawl and might be more to do with the spring or the lever.

For reference this shows mine in the engaged position.
IMG_6715.jpeg

Thanks Haydn, thats how my pawl is sat. On fly reels you can turn the pawl around so the ratchet is stronger with line going out, so i thought it would be possible to do the same with the Speedia. Thanks again.

I have Rob but the pawl doesnt engage the cog properly for some reason. Ive ordered a new pawl to see how that goes.
If the pawl is at fault it would be blatantly obvious because you would physically see excess wear or a piece of it physically missing. As said above, put a picture up so we can see it.
If the pawl looks in good shape i would be looking at the spring and pivot points.

Both pics with the ratchet off. Usual position in first pic and all working fine as it should. When I turned the pawl over it only worked (and quite weakly) with the tension on the spring setting set to the max ( as per pic 2) Adjustable tightness of ratchet spring the benefit of the Speedia Deluxe model. So perhaps for it to work it's a case of getting a stronger tension in the spring?

Good luck with it.

Attachments

• IMG_4165.JPG
    IMG_4165.JPG
    121.8 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_4166.JPG
    IMG_4166.JPG
    137.4 KB · Views: 17
Ok, this is where it starts to get a bit more complicated.

I vaguely recall doing this now, about ten years ago with one of mine. Turning the pawl over will not achieve what you want it to. All that you change doing this is the angle at which the pawl point comes into contact with the wheel ie the pawl will now be at an oblique angle to the wheel rather than fitting into each gap correctly as it should. What I vaguely recall doing now is adjusting the back edge of the pawl where it comes into contact with the spring. It’s very tricky to get right but as it stands the spring is set up to have more tension on one point of the triangle than the other, if that makes sense?

If you are set upon changing that then the back edge of the pawl needs to be adjusted accordingly. I’m guessing it could also be done by adjusting the spring curve but I think this would be even more difficult to get right that adjusting the pawl.

Both pics with the ratchet off. Usual position in first pic and all working fine as it should. When I turned the pawl over it only worked (and quite weakly) with the tension on the spring setting set to the max ( as per pic 2) Adjustable tightness of ratchet spring the benefit of the Speedia Deluxe model. So perhaps for it to work it's a case of getting a stronger tension in the spring?

Good luck with it.
Thanks Nick. I think i might leave it as it is, because knowing me i'l end up breaking it. Thanks again.

Back