• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Spawning ?

Mark Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi men ,

Has the below average temps for the time of the year effected the barbel spawning in your areas ?. With temps rising quickly this week, with a nice weekend things should kick in , and I may even be able to have a walk somewhere to watch :D

Hatter

past few years on the Great Ouse it's been around the second may bank holiday weekend. I've found a few good places to find them at it, if there are any left in the stretches I fish.

Haydn

Mark, it is traditionally the end of May down here unless we get really freaky hot springts like the last couple of years, if it stays warm for a couple of weeks I reckon they will go for it on the Loddon and Kennet around the end of May to second week of June, which probably means we will be back to the traditional very slow start to the fishing when the new season opens.......

There was no sign of spawning on the middle Hants Avon at the weekend although the water was carrying a bit of colour so was difficult to spot fish well. Some fish are definitely up in the spawning sites though.

Will be fishing the royalty this week and the water is a lot clearer now so I'll see if I can find any early spawners.

Colin, apparently there is still a barbel in the Cherwell!!

They have called it "Tony" because it's t'ony one left :)

I've spotted quite a few spawning Today on the Derwent, Varoius sizes spotted, from smaller size of approx 4-5lb ish up to some really cracking Doubles!!

Colin, apparently there is still a barbel in the Cherwell!!

They have called it "Tony" because it's t'ony one left :)

Ian, you may say that in jest BUT that's exactly what a certain respected specimen angler witnessed today, yes a solitary barbel spawning in the silt (there is no clean gravel), and for stimulation it was being pursued by a chub of a pound....
But you got the spelling of its name wrong, its Toni and it seems quite likely to be t'oni one left (in that area):(:mad:.

On a plus we may get a few ch'arbel coming through, downside of that hybridisation, they're bound sure to be 'A sexual'.:confused:

Grim, bloody grim!!:(:mad:

Hammer and tongs on the Bristol Avon last night in good numbers with plenty of 2 to 5lbers which is a very good sign.

Just back from a walk along my local (and famous / infamous on the old BFW) River Pinn. Astonishing sight. Fish of between of 3 and 9 (maybe even a 10-plus) going at like good uns. Tiny river, too.

3s to a suspected 10-plus?

Yes.

Inches.

Dace.

Now between 75 and 100 swimmers and 1 canoeist in the Lacock section of the BA never mind eh!!!

Just back from a walk along my local (and famous / infamous on the old BFW) River Pinn. Astonishing sight. Fish of between of 3 and 9 (maybe even a 10-plus) going at like good uns. Tiny river, too.

3s to a suspected 10-plus?

Yes.

Inches.

Dace.
it's nice to hear, now all we need now is the brent back.

Just seen some Chub spawning today chaps, how long will it be, until i can see some barbel spawning?

Thanks in advance.

Back