• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Spanish Barbel

Declan Doherty

Hi all,
Does anyone have any experience of fishing in Spain for Gitano Barbel? I'm considering a trip to the Seville area and was wondering about licences, any applicible seasons etc. I've had a look online but some information is a bit contradictory/vague.. I think my UK licence is transferable but I need to buy a regional permit?

I'll be over there in the next few days and will have a recce, the plan being to go back early next year and bring the tackle.

ATB, Declan

Hi all,
Does anyone have any experience of fishing in Spain for Gitano Barbel? I'm considering a trip to the Seville area and was wondering about licences, any applicible seasons etc. I've had a look online but some information is a bit contradictory/vague.. I think my UK licence is transferable but I need to buy a regional permit?

I'll be over there in the next few days and will have a recce, the plan being to go back early next year and bring the tackle.

ATB, Declan
Lee Swords did a talk on his experiences of fishing for Spanish Barbel at this year's Barbel Society show. It's on YouTube. It may be worth a look.

Thank you all - fantastically helpful and I’ll definitely check out Lee Swords and the book from Haydn (long time no see - hope all is well!)..

👍

I fished the Guadiana earlier in the year for Barbel but the Portuguese side of the river (it runs from Spain).

Ideally you want a local guide to put you on some decent stretches as these rivers are wide and deep. I fished a section in a small town called Mertola and it was 15m deep in places.

In Portugal you needed the following:
- Inland fishing license
- Sea fishing license (dependant if the bit you plan to fish is tidal)

These are available from an ATM but you need to have local bank card so that puts tourists out of the picture. I believe you can get them from the Fishing & Agriculture offices dotted around the country but I know (in Portugal anyway) this isn’t easy unless you speak the local lingo. This may be easier in Spain.

My suggestion is to find a “wild fishing Spain” Facebook group and go from there.

The scenery is unbelievable and not many people pleasure-fish for barbel as they fish for them for the dining table.

I had barbel and cats but none were particularly big. Fly fishing for barbel is very popular as they are more carnivorous than what we have in the UK.

Back