• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Sourcing Hemp

Neil Smart

I wonder if anyone can help with buying hemp, or rather directing me to a supplier that can be trusted as far as quality. The Lower Severn needs a lot of the stuff so any help would be much appreciated.
Cheers.

I got fed up with buying poor quality (dead seeds) and small grain size hemp, so I now get it from Hinders. Not the cheapest but the quality and large grain size is perfect!

Neil do you get any problems with splitting the large grain stuff, some I have had in the past has been almost impossible to split.

Neil over the years I have tried different suppliers and found the hemp never split :mad::mad:
Then last season I bought a 20 kg sack from Bankside and it was supplied by
CC Moores and never had a problem with it splitting ? . I cant remember how much I paid for it ?
Have a look on the CC Moores website and see what they add for delivery ?
Then see what Bankside are charging ? I think you will find it works out dearer getting it from bankside ? Hope that helps

Thanks for all the input, certainly Titmuss, seem the better value, but I haven't used their hemp as far as I know anyway. But if Hatter has, then that has to be an endorsement.

Joe (Fletcher} gets his from Bankside via CC Moore's but at £50 a go I was trying to find a cheaper option. Hinders I know is good but again not cheap. But hemp has trebled in price so piling in a gallon at a time will be expensive, perhaps mixing with pigeon conditioner might bel an option?

I know the rising cost of hemp impacts us all that use the stuff, (and who doesn't?) so thanks again for the help and any more to come.

Don't buy hemp from Titmuss, I got a sack from there late last year and it was the worst I've ever had, very few grains split even after a 2 day soak before cooking. The hemp fromm AA Baits in Warrington was always OK.

Neil S, old Chinese proverb " buy cheap, buy twice :D", you get what you pay for. £50 for 20 kilo, = £2.50 per kilo, not too bad really, when you consider tackle shops charge up to £2 for a tin. Why not get a mate or two, and get a sack between you, and split the cost. :)

I got a sack from the pet supplies shop in Hereford, road the runs parallel with the railway. Paid £15 if memory serves me. The fella who runs it is a barbel angler.
Splits easily and seems good quality.

Neil S, old Chinese proverb " buy cheap, buy twice :D", you get what you pay for. £50 for 20 kilo, = £2.50 per kilo, not too bad really, when you consider tackle shops charge up to £2 for a tin. Why not get a mate or two, and get a sack between you, and split the cost. :)

£50 a kilo is probably OK for normal use, but as I say the Lower Severn, if you are to do it properly requires a lot of hemp, 2 gallons is not unusual in a session, I believe, so costs will soon mount up.

I even asked Titmuss for a tonne rate :eek: But then was put right by Steve as the the quality issues. Anyway the tonne rate was just a small saving, the intention was to source it for a local tackle shop as well. I have a 15 kg sack coming tomorrow from the pet food guy at my local market, paying £30, the bloke on the fruit and veg stall said he uses it so worth a punt :)

Actually some of the best hemp I have used comes pre packed in sealed bags from a Evesham tackle shop, I use it on the small river arrow when I am up that way, there is a 'magic' ingredient added apparently, all I know it stings your hands, most odd.

Anyway all this beats work I suppose.:)

I got a sack from the pet supplies shop in Hereford, road the runs parallel with the railway. Paid £15 if memory serves me. The fella who runs it is a barbel angler.
Splits easily and seems good quality.

That's a good price Ed, will look into.

Edit

I did.... Dogsbody, they do 15 kg sacks at £21.50, and his brother as an angler and reckons the quality is good.

Will do a good 'break' price on larger orders, if anyone is interested.

Looking good, thanks Ed.

£50 a kilo is probably OK for normal use, but as I say the Lower Severn, if you are to do it properly requires a lot of hemp, 2 gallons is not unusual in a session, I believe, so costs will soon mount up.

I even asked Titmuss for a tonne rate :eek: But then was put right by Steve as the the quality issues. Anyway the tonne rate was just a small saving, the intention was to source it for a local tackle shop as well. I have a 15 kg sack coming tomorrow from the pet food guy at my local market, paying £30, the bloke on the fruit and veg stall said he uses it so worth a punt :)

Actually some of the best hemp I have used comes pre packed in sealed bags from a Evesham tackle shop, I use it on the small river arrow when I am up that way, there is a 'magic' ingredient added apparently, all I know it stings your hands, most odd.

Anyway all this beats work I suppose.:)

Neil £50 a Kilo :rolleyes:: I think you mean £50 for 20 Kg ? Neil let me know if
15 Kg sack is any good and the hemp splits ok ? If its any good I might get a sack ?

Neil £50 a Kilo :rolleyes:: I think you mean £50 for 20 Kg ? Neil let me know if
15 Kg sack is any good and the hemp splits ok ? If its any good I might get a sack ?

Oops yep that would be expensive, will get back on the Tewkesbury hemp, but the Hereford stuff looks v.good and cheaper.

Back