• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Snapped tip

Jamie Warren

Alright fellas, been in and out the van grabbing an hour here and there recently, and I’ve snapped the tip of my barbel rod, about 1.5 inch away from the top. Can this be fixed? And if it.can, is there anyone on here that can help?

Done that a few times, buying a replacement section can be expensive, I would not worry about the action of the rod, get a new tip guide whipped on and jobs a good'un.
What rod is it maybe some members here can help with top section?

Jamie,
Got to agree with Neil on this one. I have a rod, delivered with a broken tip and replaced by supplier, and I got Marc Barnett to take a look at the broken tip and he advised not wasting time and expense on a repair as he couldn’t guarantee it with the tip being so fine. He put a tip ring on the slightly shortened section and all’s well. My mate used the rod on the Wye a couple of weeks back and I was able to observe the action when he played fish and I can only say all looked well. The rod, like yours, was broken approx 1.5 inches from tip end.
regards
Bill

Done that a few times, buying a replacement section can be expensive, I would not worry about the action of the rod, get a new tip guide whipped on and jobs a good'un.
What rod is it maybe some members here can help with top section?
It’s a giant Ouse barbel by Martin bowler, I bought it of another member of this forum, I’ve been trying to track down another one ever since. Most of the action of this rod is through the butt, I’ve had it bent double with carp and barbel.

I repaired my Korum All Rounder 12' 1.5lb rod that snapped a couple of inches from the tip by Gorilla-Glueing an old baiting needle shaft into both ends of the broken part. The repair has lasted over a year without any issues and doesn't seem to have affected the action of the rod.

Jamie,
Got to agree with Neil on this one. I have a rod, delivered with a broken tip and replaced by supplier, and I got Marc Barnett to take a look at the broken tip and he advised not wasting time and expense on a repair as he couldn’t guarantee it with the tip being so fine. He put a tip ring on the slightly shortened section and all’s well. My mate used the rod on the Wye a couple of weeks back and I was able to observe the action when he played fish and I can only say all looked well. The rod, like yours, was broken approx 1.5 inches from tip end.
regards
Bill
Second what Bill says. Doubt you'll notice a difference and depending on the diameter of the tip you may well be able to reuse the same tip ring.

40mm is nothing. You’ll never notice that and if you get the tip ring done nicely you’ll forget it ever happened
Remove the tip ring from the broken piece and Measure the diameter of the section where it slides over then measure the diameter of where you need the new ring placed. If they are the same you can even still use the original guide to fix it.

40mm is nothing. You’ll never notice that and if you get the tip ring done nicely you’ll forget it ever happened
Remove the tip ring from the broken piece and Measure the diameter of the section where it slides over then measure the diameter of where you need the new ring placed. If they are the same you can even still use the original guide to fix it.
Just to let you know I fixed it, I heated up the eye and removed the snapped bit, the eye went straight back on, it wasn’t even 40mm, more like 20mm. I used it today, seems fine

Just to let you know I fixed it, I heated up the eye and removed the snapped bit, the eye went straight back on, it wasn’t even 40mm, more like 20mm. I used it today, seems fine
Put a little seal round the area where the blank enters the guide. Stops water getting in and makes a more solid well finished job.
a little wrap is the best way but if your not able to do that then just a little run round with a clear 1 part varnish will do it. Apply with a cocktail stick to bridge the gap, leave it alone for a couple days to go rock hard and it will be spot on.

Back