• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Smelly baits

Mike Thompson

Senior Member & Supporter
Hi all,
With all the rivers very high the first few days of the season are going to be a bit of a challenge. I guess we are all thinking of using large smelly baits. I know most will have Spam or similar in several flavours, but I was wondering what else you are thinking of trying.
For me, I have some boilies that have been soaking in a dip for two years, and some Stilton cheese paste that you can still smell wrapped in two plastic bags.
So, what's your speciality ?
What ever it is, I wish you well for the new season.
Mike

Never found strong smelling cheese a good Barbel bait, but mild chedder has always been very good for me and cheap at £3.99 a kilo. Its not really the bait when the rivers are up, its knowing the swims the fish seek out in floodwater. I saw it proved on the River Severn years ago, bank high and chocolate a mate had 37 barbel on maggot feeder they were all in his swim. My local rivers are still clear and low but if they ever go filthy a kebab rig, 3 to 7, one inch square chunks of Garlic or Tika meat threaded up a dacron hooklength ,hook in the bottom piece takes some beating.

I've been experimenting glugging hookbaits in this korda goo stuff (never tried it before) . Mixing up garlic with krill etc. Cut a hookbait in half and it's soaked right in. Stinks in all

This stuff stinks, it's also very very tasty

Meat placed in garlic powder and hot curry powder fried on all sides to toughen it up.....then frozen with some hemp oil.....its kept me in barbel in flood conditions

Back