• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Smaller Shimano Baitrunner. Like 5010? What's used these days??

Mark Howard

I sold both my 5010's a number of years ago but now want to replace them with a good quality smaller baitrunners. Shimano now seem to have so much it's hard to work out what's what! I'm trying to find a pair of old 5010's, but what do you chaps think is compatible nowadays for a nice smaller barbel reel? I don't want cheap, and it must be a Shimano baitrunner. What's the modern equivalent? Christmas is coming and my girlfriend has asked what I want. She may come to regret that. Thanks.

Hi Mark,
Shimano are now doing a 4000 reel they call them the ST range i just bought 2 4000 FB's £49.95 each Front drag, and i haven't had front drag since my old Mitchells !, i'm not intending to use them for Barbel, but they'd easily cope. You can get them with double or single handles, the double handles shown here are what i've put on from an older pair of Shimano 4000's, these actually came with singles, but i swapped them !

Attachments

• IMG_0679.jpg
    IMG_0679.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 532
  • IMG_0687.jpg
    IMG_0687.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 579
I’m not familiar with the 5010 but can vouch for the older 4000ST FA models, I caught quite a few Barbel on them before I got flash and upgraded to 4000 OC Oceanics.....both models have very, very good front drags and a good adjustment range on the baitrunner 👍

I can also vouch for the 4000ST - my go-to barbel reel. Easily handles them. Because I'm mobile and always on the move I don't like the bigger and more cumbersome baitrunners, so the 4000 is a perfect size barbel reel for me. Build quality is just as good on the newer ones as well - mine has been through all sorts and works as well as it did new.

Only thing I can't speak for is the drag as I'm a backwinder.

Taking price, functionality, reliability, spares and availability into account, I honestly couldn’t think of a better barbel reel than the OC range.
Sure the D and the thunnus are even more so up rated versions of this little salt water gem but a barbel angler probably isn’t going to appreciate or even notice these upgrades.
At about £90 a shout there ain’t much I would put infront of it.

As Richard says , the OC is a very good reel . To be honest i wouldn’t even look at the lower end reels like the st range (no offence)

the way I see it , if they are charging £50 how much is it actually costing ?
No , for me I would rather spend a little more on the oc or d range from new or the old school b range is 10 times the st

Another vote for the 4000 OC. Only had mine a few weeks, but really like it. I have a pair of 5000gte's, which are good too if you are looking second hand. Although they would probably cost you nearly as much as a new OC.

I have a pair of 5000gte which are 30+years old and used and abused them but had them serviced last week and they are as good as new but have been recommended the diawa Ss1600/2600 I know they are not baitrunner but you can covert them I believe to quick drag anyone use them

Much food for thought. Doing my research now based on comments, but the 4000 OC does look nice; compact and good build quality.
Mark,
If your local tackle emporium hasn’t got them in stock Johnson Ross are showing as having them at £95 each
Regards
Bill

Yet another vote for the Shimano 4000 OC

I have owned the 8000 OC for several years and it stood up to inshore boat fishing well. Then I bought the 6000 OC for river carp and a few months ago the 4000 OC for barbel.

The 4000 OC is a delight to use, perfectly functional design, reasonably rigid frame, great front drag. The rear drag adjustment for the baitrunner is very sensitive and perfect for minute adjustments as the river current changes during a session.

Now I want another 4000 OC for my feeder rod, the Korum reel on it is feeling decidedly 2nd class!👍

Much food for thought. Doing my research now based on comments, but the 4000 OC does look nice; compact and good build quality.
I have the D’s in both 4000 and 6000 and as lovely as they are I paid 30-40 quid for a water proof drag and a gold spool.
neither of which are much use to a fresh water bank fisherman. I have 5 D’s now and I absolutely love them But if your buying brand new reels then definitely go OC as it’s exactly the same reel from a barbel perspective.

I have really no idea out modern reels, I am old school , and use Shimmy 3500 br’s, they are fine . Tough as old boots, great front drag which I far prefer to rear, smallish and solid as a rock. I know several on here use them , and have never heard a bad word about them .

I also have a pair of Mitchell 300‘S . To use with my Carp Avons .

David

I have 2 x 4000 D’s and a 6000 D. IMHO they feel a more solid reel than the OC. One of my 4000D’s is pushing 10 years old and it’s still in great condition, following regular use.

I bought a pair of Mivardi Kappa 4000, quite cheap, not used them in anger, but they seem well built and very very smooth, quite deep spools, and spare is graphite.

I have a pair of 6000D's, think I paid £125 each. I had been using some £65'ish 6000RB's the previous season. Nothing wrong with the RB's but the difference is staggering. I find any of the £50-£80 reels have a little wobble in the handles even when tight, the 6000D's are rock solid, smooth as butter and honestly an absolute pleasure to use. I'd say go best you can afford (within reason!).

I have been using Daiwa SS2600's for years, and absolutely love them. I have a couple of sets, on a pair of heavy barbel rods, and on my Zander rods and they have been faultless. I have a set of 4500bs that i use on another set of barbel rods, and whilst i love them too, they dont come close in terms of clutch and 'solidity'.

Some dont like the lack of baitrunner, and the fact that its a proper clutch rather than QD, but these are both positives for me, and the clutch and durability of them is what sets them apart for me.

I'm not quite sure I get the fuss with the 4500b's. I had a pair many years on some nice carp rods and from memory I couldn't wait to get rid of them for something else. Pretty sure I suffered torrid line lay and a snapped bail arm on one. I had very little confidence with them. That's my memory of those reels anyway, probably user error!! 😜 Looks like I should have kept for the cult status they now have 🙄

Back