• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Small River Float Advice

Mike Window

Senior Member & Supporter
I've been using a split cane 10' rod for trotting with a centrepin on a small river which has lots of trees and bushes.
If I use a longer rod I tend to get caught up in branches etc.
Decide to go for a lighter rod so looking for a 10' carbon but most on the market seem to be for commercial fisheries casting heavy wagglers etc and fishing for carp.
I am catching mostly roach, dace, grayling and the odd trout and chub.
Any suggestions for a suitable rod possibly with more of a tip action, the floats I use are normally 4 gms.
Mike

I've been using a split cane 10' rod for trotting with a centrepin on a small river which has lots of trees and bushes.
If I use a longer rod I tend to get caught up in branches etc.
Decide to go for a lighter rod so looking for a 10' carbon but most on the market seem to be for commercial fisheries casting heavy wagglers etc and fishing for carp.
I am catching mostly roach, dace, grayling and the odd trout and chub.
Any suggestions for a suitable rod possibly with more of a tip action, the floats I use are normally 4 gms.
Mike
There’s a scarce Jarvis Walker John Wilson 10ft float rod on eBay 🤷🏼‍♂️.You don’t see many traditional float rods these days

Hi Peter
Many thanks I did see that but I was really hoping for a two piece with mostly cork handle.
Maybe I am being a bit too fussy and will have to lower my expectations.
thanks again
Mike

If you could stretch to 11 ft, you would have the choice of the Acolyte Carp Waggler, which despite it's name, would be a very nice float rod for the work you describe.
Just seen they do an 11ft Ultra as well.

Last edited:
The tackle box Dartford do an 11ft 3/4lb rod that might suit, its a very thin, soft, through action rod with stand off eyes. £44.99 plus £8 postage. I often fish small streams and would not touch a tip action rod, much preferring a soft forgiving through action. If you are set on 10ft, have you thought of getting the John Wilson 10ft rod and buying a handle kit from Ebay. They do cork handle kits on Ebay for around £7.50 that include the reel fitting, front and back cork. I recently fitted one to a crystalight rod I bought cheap. OK mine was a separate handle but you would only have to refit one eye on the Wilson rod. This was what my crystalight handle looked like and it was £7.35 all in.
20200903_065834.jpg

Hi Mike. Hope you are well.

Shakespeare do a 10ft Superteam Match/ float rod with cork handle.

Or Sigma 10ft float cork handled.

Now just because you own half the Worlds centrepins etc, don't discount this cheapo.

The Shakey Mach 1 14ft rod I often use in preference to the 14ft Hardy is superb.

Last edited:
Thanks all for your suggestions
I have ordered the Superteam Match 10ft
I still enjoy my smaller split cane rods but even in shorter lengths they are a bit heavy and stiff for what I need.
By the way Graham I have sold off most of my pin collection down to my last twenty or so which I will probably keep.
Thanks again all and Tight Lines

Mike

Back