• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Small reel advice please

ShimanoDL2500FA

I can thoroughly recommend these baby baitrunners,for lighter set-ups.They are a bit dearer than the ST model,but come with a spare spool and double handle.Possibly they're intended to be a later version of the old Seaspin,as they have a front clutch.The baitrunner lever works in the opposite direction to Shimano norm(the same as Fox's).Although light in weight they do have that Shimano quality,so that you know what you're getting.

Pete;)

they look great reels but for chub and perch they're over the top for my needs.

I'll only be using 3 or 4lb line max and they take 140 yards of 9lb line, so a smaller and lighter reel with shallower spool is what I'm after. I just want good quality with a top performing smooth front clutch.

double handles are the bain of my life. I normally wang a lead right back at my head in the middle of the night at some stage or other casting underhand with a loop that catches the double handle!

Shimano have just introduced a 1500 size to their Stradic GTMRC range ! Might be worth a look !?
I have an older model, a 2500 Stradic GTMRA and really cannot fault it in any way.
Oh and these are 'Pearl White'.......:cool:

I use a shimano technium 2500FB, single handle, light and has a wonderfully smooth front clutch which I brought on E-bay new for £71, but takes 140yds of 8lb.
If you want shallower spools maybe look at the MACH 3 series of reels from Shakespeare which I believe comes with 4 spools of varing line capacities but made in a horrible colour.

How about one of these? Colours right at least:

picture.php

I'll only be using 3 or 4lb line max and they take 140 yards of 9lb line, so a smaller and lighter reel with shallower spool is what I'm after. I just want good quality with a top performing smooth front clutch.

double handles are the bain of my life. I normally wang a lead right back at my head in the middle of the night at some stage or other casting underhand with a loop that catches the double handle!

I've got the Shimano and Daiwa catalogues in front of me and there isn't much in the way of small reels with front drag, single handle and shallow(ish) spools that's not garish as hell or costs a small fortune.

It's hardly subdued but it's not gopping,this could fit the bill.

The Shimano Seido FA doesn't look too bad.

this is like having your own personal shopper! fantastic, thanks been checking out all suggestions. just need to get to a shop and have a wind. I said 'a' wind.

I wonder what the new mitchells are like. updated 300's would be great..

we've not been doing much fishing lately have we judging by all the window shopping going on?

Last edited:
i have a fox duo-lite avon for the same reasons as yourself. i have a shimano twin power xt-ra 2500 fantastic little reel and handles everything from perch to barbel

i have a fox duo-lite avon for the same reasons as yourself. i have a shimano twin power xt-ra 2500 fantastic little reel and handles everything from perch to barbel

thats the reel I use on my harrison 13" gti float rod. it is very good indeed but then they are pricey so they should be.

Hi Simon, sorry! Got carried away last night! I've played with the Maglite and the TD-X in the shop but actualy use a Browning Black Magic front drag reel which you can pick up new for about £35!

Had mine for a couple of years now, all black with gold trim but i believe they've dropped the gold trim for bronze this year but still a cracking little reel - the 820FD is the one to look at.

RE - Drennan reels. Thought the replacable purple spool cap with different line breaking strains on was a novel idea!

Back