• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

SLOW melt Mesh ??

Gerry Giles

Senior Member & Supporter
I cant seem to find anywhere that sells SLOW melt PVA Mesh ?
google comes up with Elite Angling PVA Mesh Products but no response from emails or phones messages on their answer phone and no stockist list either ?
Jolly annoying !

I know the slow melt is handy for some baits and also for using in the rain Gerry, but I've seen fish spook at mesh bags and like them to dissolve asap. ... just making sure they sink quickly with the lead.
Not too bad if you fill 'em with pellets I guess to slow the melt.
I'm sure there used to be more options but like you, can't find a reference.

Coating made up mesh bags with hemp oil delays the melt time. The trick is to make up the bags so they are baggy with plenty of slack, they tighten-up once they have absorbed the hemp oil.

I use PVA Products mesh. If I make a bag up on the bank it melts pretty quickly, but if I make one up the day before with pellet or boilies it absorbs some of the oils and takes two or three minutes to melt. Personally I like this slower melt, it allows the lead and bait to settle before releasing the free offerings.

Yes Mike,.. f you make up mesh stocking bags loaded with pellets in advance they discolour with the oils and become slow melt.
I tend to tie my bags leaving a long tag to attach to the neck of the semi fixed lead, but when using boilies have noticed that the moisture in the baits shrinks the tag if tied 24hrs beforehand.

Hi men ,

i always tie the bag in the swim so i can adjust it to suit the conditions or situation in front of me . There are a few ways to help with meltdown times , first is to double bag by folding the mesh back on itself . Best way iv found is to dip it in a fish protein type of liquid , solved all my problems of getting the rig and bag into place . I also used to dip the bag into the liquid 3/4 of the way up , but hook it onto the dipped end , the undipped end melted first , emptying the bag before it had a chance to wash away completely . With boilies i make them very tight before dipping , and they literaly explode when the water gets to them . As above you can trap them to your lead using clips made for carp fishing where you lodge the knot into the clip which also helps the rig stay together if you are using running lead ( which iv not done for many years ).

Hatter

Yes folks thank you for your suggestions
but I do know all about ways to slow the fast melt pva down using

hemp oil ,Glycerine etc I have been doing this but now my search is over I found some proper Elite Angling PVA Slow melt mesh
so I am sorted now big smile

Back