• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

slim blank

John Young

Hi
i am after some advice please
I am after a pair of new rods but would like a very slim blank
Some of my past rods for carp fishing was ESP distance rods and these were nice and thin blanks and something I prefer.
Can anyone recommend a barbel rod 11ft 1.75tc or 12ft
any price range.
thank you

Freespirit rods are extremely thin lovely rods as well.

11' Torrix 1.75 is around 11.9mm diameter at the 'normal' fore grip position. The 12' 1.75 Torrix is 13.8mm at the same position. However, these diameters can vary slightly in production (because of the way they are manufactured) and also any finish that is applied after the blanks the are ground.
A lot of people think that an 11' is merely a cut down version of the 12' which it is not.
The Bfw I-power is around 13mm diameter (which is now available in ultra matt finish) at the same 'average fore grip' position.

Torrix%20PB%20slim%20800.jpg

Image Above: 11' Torrix with slim handle, soft touch contoured reel seat, exposed blank window, K series guides, ultra matt finish.

Hope this helps,
Bob

Hi,

Many thanks for the advice :)

Bob your website looks great and spoilt for choice

regards Jy

Hi
Looking at the sizes of the Torrix I dont think its much slimmer than the Greys Prodigy 12ft 1.75 tc?
I might be wrong.
I would like slimmer than the Greys?
Jy

The Free Spirit rod are slimmer than the Torrix but the action is much more tippy,that's why I went to Bob a few years ago and got a couple of 1.75lb Torrix ang I've not be disappointed,these cover all my fishing from the Kennet to chucking feeders half way across the Wye.Rather than how they look,what are they like to play fish on?Hope this helps no doubt we all have our preferences.

I just got a free spirit tamer X wrap SU, slim blank, i do find it a bit soft, apart form that, Nice.

The Free Spirit rod are slimmer than the Torrix but the action is much more tippy,that's why I went to Bob a few years ago and got a couple of 1.75lb Torrix ang I've not be disappointed,these cover all my fishing from the Kennet to chucking feeders half way across the Wye.Rather than how they look,what are they like to play fish on?Hope this helps no doubt we all have our preferences.

Agree wholeheartedly with you Richard. Just taken delivery of my second rod from Bob. Delicious and a perfect blank for catching as well as, ahem, blanking. If it was a woman, it would be Kelly Brook.

Agree wholeheartedly with you Richard. Just taken delivery of my second rod from Bob. Delicious and a perfect blank for catching as well as, ahem, blanking. If it was a woman, it would be Kelly Brook.

Kelly Brook :eek: Errrr....I couldn't borrow it for an hour or two could I Howard? To be honest, about 30 seconds would do :eek:

Cheers, Dave :D

Kelly Brook, 30 seconds,,,,,,,,, man you got staying power ,,,,,,,,,,,,,

chuckling big time guys some qlty replies here,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I suppose the ''rings'' on the Kelly Brook barbel rod would have to be golden and the rod would have to be light in the hand especially as most of us will only have it hand less than 30 seconds it would seem,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Do you think Kelly would prefer a soft tip or dare I say a stiffer tip,,,,,,,,,, quiver,,,, yep you bet you would.

John - why does the diameter of the blank matter so much? I doubt you'll get much slimmer that the 11" Torrix that Bob mentioned. I think Andy Sliwa does a stalking rod on a very thin blank but it's less than 11". Apart from that, my Normarks a very slim, but no longer made.

Good luck with the hunt - you may be some time. :)

I was wondering the same?

Obviously a slim blank has lower air resistance for casting/striking and staying out of the way of the wind when holding the rod and bite detection too.

That said, isn't the weight and action more important or am I missing something?

All the best.

Stephen

Back