• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Silkweed

Chris Jones

Found an interesting little pond that's covered in silkweed. I didn't manage to find a clear patch anywhere in front of me. Any rig put out came back festooned in the stuff. Even resorted to using a waggler at one point but in the wind it just got towed until it tripped bottom and got covered in more silkweed. I can honestly say that I hate the damned stuff. Despite this, the water showed a lot of promise and I did manage to snaffle a decent tench and a low double common. I've a fair idea that there were a decent number of fish in front of me feeding on the pellets I catapulted out.
It seemed that spraying loose feed and fishing a chod/pop up is probably the way to go as anything else simply got covered. Any other suggestions of ways to combat silkweed without resorting to a rake?

Just fish in it!
Cast with rig in small PVA bag and dont move it until fish or recast.
If you cast into it and dont move the rig, it should be OK.
The stuff coating your rig is from when you retrieve and drag the rig through it.

Personally I seldom rake swims, even if there are no clearings in the weed. My preferred method is to let the fish clear the spot for themselves.

Choose an area which has either a difference in the depth; a bar, plateau, gully or even just somewhere that feels 'right';).

Then simply just spod mixed particles to your chosen spot, the amount is totally dependant on the head of fish present.
Keep doing this every other day, or if not possible at least twice a week for a couple weeks.
You'll be pleasantly surprised how clear your swim is. But if you still find the weed problematic simply mask your hook with eith a PVA stick or foam.

All good, clear swim and fish laying in waiting for your bait:).

Should add if you want the lake bed polished clean, then spod live maggots in to swim;).

A cautionary word though, best to spod your bait in when the lake is deserted, cos' if you don't I can guarantee some kind sole will reap the rewards of your labour before you get to!!

Last edited:
Back