• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Short break fishing trip

Richard Bruton

Senior Member & Supporter
For several years myself and 2 old school friends meet up each year for a weekends fishing at Lemington Lakes in Moreton on Marsh. This year they have changed the arrangements and you now have to stay on site and the price is extortionate.

Can anybody recommend a venue for our trip this year? I live in Christchurch Dorset and the other lads live in Brum so the area is very open to where we go.

Myself and one of the others are more specimen orientated and the other chap is more into his match fishing. Therefore the venue would need to give the possibility of targeting decent specimens (of any species) but also the possibility of bagging up.

Any suggestions would be warmly welcomed. Time wise we are looking at April/May.

Thank you in anticipation.

RB

Somewhere that fit the bill geographically and with specimen and match lakes is Manor Farm near Biggleswade.
Not my cup of tea but my Son's done well there with Carp, has also had a few blanks.
Another acquaintance loves it for pole fishing.
It's changed hands recently, for better or worse I couldn't say.
Worth checking out though.

Richard,
I have taken a holiday at Docklow 3 times in the last 10 years. Accommodation varies from bed and breakfast to log cabins. There is a brilliant tackle shop, pub and restaurant on site. They will send you a glossy brochure with all details. The match guy will have a field day as there are a couple of match pools which regularly do 100lbs+. But I was disappointed last time. Like you I prefer catching a few bigger fish and the carp and tench lakes are not as good as they used to be.
I am not saying don't go, but I will not go again. I do not think it is looked after now in the way it used to be, plus it is quite expensive if staying on site.
Mike

Back