• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Shimano stradic 3000 gtm. Wanted.

Send a pic when you can.
You never know…….
Hi Rich.
Pic. But to be honest, Mr Fixit here has now made it worse so never trust it again.

New one needed.
20220126_094433.jpg

Cheers Chris. I saw that, but not confident I could put it on competently.

I still have another that's working fine so unless a good second hand one comes up I will stick.

Cheers Chris. I saw that, but not confident I could put it on competently.

I still have another that's working fine so unless a good second hand one comes up I will stick.

I reckon that if you attempt to remove the remnants of the broken bail, you'll realise how easy fitting a new one might be. As far as I'm aware, it's as simple as removing two screws and slipping the roller bearing off. If it's not that simple, you'll know before wasting £10. If it goes horribly wrong, you've lost no money and still have a non-functioning reel.

I've just disassembled the bail of a similarly adorned Shimano reel. It is just as easy as I suspected. Two screws and sliding the roller bearing off, that's it. No unexpected springs to ping out/off. No random unseen and unsecured parts to drop out and vanish without trace. £9.99 and a single cross head screw driver will see your reel working again inside five minutes.

Hi Rich.
Pic. But to be honest, Mr Fixit here has now made it worse so never trust it again.

New one needed. View attachment 17735
Ref your broken bail, if I was able to fix it, you shouldn’t worry about trusting it. I wouldn’t send it back repaired if the repair wasn’t as durable as it was originally. It might look Knackered but you’d be surprised at what can be done.
More than happy to look at anything you want to send me and if I can fix it, you can definitely trust it.

Too good to scrap for parts Graham. I’m more than happy to have a go at putting it right for you and you’ll have a spare or a good one to sell on but I wouldn’t feel right keeping it myself.
I’m Happy to order a bail arm up and send it back to you fully repaired for the parts cost.

Didn’t need a new bail in the end.
The bail spring had come right of the location point behind the cover which is why it wouldn’t snap back but easily put back in and the bail itself pushed back into the roller housing with a drop of bearing fit to ensure it doesn’t come out again.

Reels as good as ……. New ……. it was before
7CE111E7-5A38-421A-A751-22ED02BB0027.jpeg

Richard - do you have trouble sleeping? Or is the middle of the night the only time you have peace and quiet to repair reels?

Richard - do you have trouble sleeping? Or is the middle of the night the only time you have peace and quiet to repair reels?
Neither Edward. I repaired it around tea time and checked it then updated the thread just before I went to bed.
I’m having second thoughts on the bail repair anyway simply because I haven’t got a spool to check the line runs smoothly across the bail into the roller without hindering on the point of repair.
The repair is solid but I don’t want to send it back and graham has problems with the line getting caught on the joint.

It was a nice try but I’m thinking for 10 quid I’ll just stick a new one on for him.
It needed to come to me or someone else anyway because the bail spring had come out of its location point and they can be fiddly and potentially good escape artists.

I checked the part number on the one that Chris put up from eBay and it’s correct for this reel. Guy also gave another £1 discount so £9 posted it’s definitely worth having a new one on. Keep the repaired one as an emergency spare because it probably is just fine.
3B544390-70B3-48AD-838C-571F632F980D.jpeg
C8E82BC2-1452-4C5E-AD96-AA688B5D851D.jpeg

Last edited:
Wow. Got my reel back from Richard.

Apart from a new bail arm it seems to spin far smoother than before. And looks clean.

What a craftsman. It'll be at least a couple of outings till it needs to go back in the soapy water.

Seriously. Thank you Rich. I was on the point of dumping it.

Like new at far far less than a new one.

Back