• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Shimano service ?

Mark Thompson

Senior Member & Supporter
Hi
I have a couple of Shimano 5000c reels about 5 or 6 years old, average use I guess. I personally find the clutch to be anything but smooth and progressive when playing a fish and wondered if this a normal characteristic of this reel (albeit with age/use) and is it worth having them serviced ?
I use 12lb mono and 1.5tc rod.
If service is an option where would you suggest I send them and any idea of cost ?
Any experience or advice much appreciated.
Thanks.

Hi
I have a couple of Shimano 5000c reels about 5 or 6 years old, average use I guess. I personally find the clutch to be anything but smooth and progressive when playing a fish and wondered if this a normal characteristic of this reel (albeit with age/use) and is it worth having them serviced ?
I use 12lb mono and 1.5tc rod.
If service is an option where would you suggest I send them and any idea of cost ?
Any experience or advice much appreciated.
Thanks.

Mark click on the link below . It might help answer a few of your questions

Shimano Service Centre - Shimano Felindre Servicing

I have never bothered loosening clutch when reels are not being used.
Is this likely to have affected performance after a few years ?
Anyone know ?

I always back off the clutches after use.I wouldn't be surprised if the main cause of clutch failure is down to the fact that they've been left locked up ,or as good as.
Regards Pete.

I have never bothered loosening clutch when reels are not being used.
Is this likely to have affected performance after a few years ?
Anyone know ?

Yes mate, as Peter says, almost certainly, they should ALWAYS be backed off when not in use for any length of time.

Back