• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Shimano Reel Sizes

Eddie Bray

Senior Member & Supporter
Here is one of my set of 3x Shimano GT3500s from the Early 1990s, I haven't used them for a while but had Carp on them up to 28lb.

When I decided I wanted some new reels for Barbelling I bought a set of 3x Shimano GTE5000Bs (1 NOS and 2x used), guess what? they are the same size as my GT3500s, the GT3500 spools actually can fit and fully work on the GTE5000s, but the metal spool on the GTE5000B is slightly too narrow internally for the full travel on the GT3500s.

Don't know where the other 1500 comes in?

Shimanos 1.jpg
Shimanos 2.jpg

Ive found the 4000 areo match fit the 5000 gte b
Also the 8000 spools fit the 6000 reels same diameter fitting just deeper spooled

I've had the same problem, and ended up with these (plus another 5, plus those on reels) spare spools .... bloody nightmare!
spools.jpg

Don't take reel numbers as a perfect indicator of reel/spool size, even from a single manufacturer. Even if you bought just current Shimano reels, you could get a couple of different 2500 "match" reels that have larger diameter spools than many of the bulk of their 4000 size reels. A 5500 reel is massive compared to the majority of 6000/8000 Baitrunners.

Each of the following spools are nominally 4000 size. All four are from Shimano match reels of various vintages. Only one is from a true front drag reel.
DSC_0242.JPG

The one top left is actually slightly smaller diameter than the bottom two. It's a longer spool so it looks bigger being closer to the lens.

Eddie the 3500 was simply the generation of rear drag bait runners before the x010 models came out and replaced them.
The spools were kept pretty the same for a long time after.
The 3500 was replaced by the 5010 and the 4500 was replaced by the 6010/8010.
Slight improvements made like the double handle and line roller, maybe an extra bearing. Size wise they were identical just the number system changed.

What is the difference between a 5000 and a 5010?
There was a few 5000 rear drag models that came out after the 5010. The RE the GTE the GTEB
I couldn’t tell you what all the models had differently and I’d imagine it was very subtle changes between each one.
To be honest imo the only rear drag reels that actually made a huge impact on bettering the 5010/6010 etc were the xtea models and for no other reason than the clutch. No other rear drag reel I’ve used will match the xtea clutch.
They were game changers when they came out in fact they still are and fetch mega money nowadays especially the 5000xtea.

There are certain spools that are 'common' in a size group or can be quite simply modified/adapted to fit.

Back