• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Shimano Reel Difference

Ian Law

Hi chaps,
Does anyone know the difference between the Stradic 4000GTM RA and the RC models. Cosmetically, they appear the same...

Ian

For a start, the RC was the first Stradic GTM reel with the chamfered lip AR-C spool. There's also a change of bail arm/roller type somewhere between the RA and RC. I've no longer got Shimano catalogues prior to 2010, when the RC model first appeared, to be sure that there were no changes to bearing types, gear ratios, line lay, weights etc.

Shimano rarely roll over to a new model without at least the odd little tweak, even if they do sometimes look rather similar at first glance. It's also worth bearing in mind that, as there was an RB model in between RA and RC, an RA is likely to be t least 10-15 years old. IIRC the original Stradic GTM hung on until the very late 90s until being replaced by the RA. I know I bought an old stock original GTM in Italy in 2001.

For a start, the RC was the first Stradic GTM reel with the chamfered lip AR-C spool. There's also a change of bail arm/roller type somewhere between the RA and RC. I've no longer got Shimano catalogues prior to 2010, when the RC model first appeared, to be sure that there were no changes to bearing types, gear ratios, line lay, weights etc.

Shimano rarely roll over to a new model without at least the odd little tweak, even if they do sometimes look rather similar at first glance. It's also worth bearing in mind that, as there was an RB model in between RA and RC, an RA is likely to be t least 10-15 years old. IIRC the original Stradic GTM hung on until the very late 90s until being replaced by the RA. I know I bought an old stock original GTM in Italy in 2001.

Many thanks for this comprehensive response Chris, much appreciated. I did indeed purchase my RA new around 2003 and am seeking another without success thus far, however, following your feedback I’d be happy to take an RC.

Thanks again

Ian

Back