• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Shimano power aero 4000re refurb

Hi guys, I’ve got an old Shimano power aero 4000re that needs some tlc, I think the spring is damaged which is stopping the bail arm from clicking back into place smoothly. Does anyone know anybody that could take a look and is it worth the cost of a refurb?

Many thanks
Ollie

The issue Ollie is they are obsolete so parts are only obtainable through other scrap reels. I’ve got plenty of old rotors kicking about with good bail springs in them but whether they are compatible, I’m not sure. I have been known to dabble and repair one or two but it could be a waste of post costs if I’ve got nothing to fit it.
If you want to take a punt send it across.
If I can successfully repair it the service is £15 return postage would be a fiver and another fiver to fit the bail spring.
Provided it didn’t need anything else it would be £25 all in.
Whether or not it’s worth it is entirely up to you. Like I say …. I might not have a compatible part in which case it’s just a fiver to send your broken reel back

Welcome to the forum btw

The issue Ollie is they are obsolete so parts are only obtainable through other scrap reels. I’ve got plenty of old rotors kicking about with good bail springs in them but whether they are compatible, I’m not sure. I have been known to dabble and repair one or two but it could be a waste of post costs if I’ve got nothing to fit it.
If you want to take a punt send it across.
If I can successfully repair it the service is £15 return postage would be a fiver and another fiver to fit the bail spring.
Provided it didn’t need anything else it would be £25 all in.
Whether or not it’s worth it is entirely up to you. Like I say …. I might not have a compatible part in which case it’s just a fiver to send your broken reel back

Welcome to the forum btw
Hi Richard,

Thank you for the prompt response! I’m more than happy to take a punt. Would you mind sending some contact and postage details? If the repair is successful I’m hoping to pair this with a 1.5tc quiver tip I have…do you think it would match up ok?

Hi Richard,

Thank you for the prompt response! I’m more than happy to take a punt. Would you mind sending some contact and postage details? If the repair is successful I’m hoping to pair this with a 1.5tc quiver tip I have…do you think it would match up ok?
Pm you later on Ollie. 👍🏻

Repair successfully done!
New spring plunger fitted and a home made diy plastic shim resolved the bail arm issues
Then just a service.

FYI these RE reels can be nicely upgraded from 2-3 bearings by removing the bush on the opposite side of the gear and replacing it with a bearing.
It’s a nice upgrade as it brings them into GTM spec and makes them feel smoother.

I’ve sent a pm Ollie I’ll need your payment and return post details.

Back