• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Shimano GT 4000 XT-7

Richard Parsons

Hi all - i've just bought (not yet delivered) a couple of these reels. Probably paid over the odds but can't find much info on them. Are they really old? Good? etc....?

Any information gratefully received.

Hi Rich, I should imagine they are old but that's not a bad thing I'm using the 3500gt xt7 and if im not mistaken its about 35yr old but a superb reel that feels as smooth as new and as good as new. I'm sure alot of people will say the same about old shimano reels it is advised to get the reels serviced though as the last owner might not have had it done and this will ensure the reel is kept in tip top condition.

Rich,
They are old, but still packed with features. The one thing Shimano improved on from these baitrunners was the inclusion of an oversized line roller on the bail arm instead of the ceramic one on these models but other than that they are fantatastic reels, engineered to levels well beyond the technology available at the time.
Tommo

if im not mistaken its about 35yr old

I think you could safely take ten to fifteen years off that. Shimano gear wasn't even a feature of the trade exhibitions in Europe until 1974. They barely made a dent in the UK market until well into the eighties. The XT-7 material wasn't something I recall seeing Shimano making a song and dance about until somewhere around 1990 (give or take a few years). I seem to recall lusting after these reels when I was still at school so that means no later than 1990. I ended up buying 5010GTs in the early nineties, once I'd started working.

Thanks for the info - and admit to being surprised by your 35 years old, Wayne. Glad to hear they're a little younger :)

Just read this and yes got to agree with the age thing as 35 years ago the mitchells were the mutts nuts and for trotting was the abu closed face reels this was probably the time if you were seen with a center pin you were behind times he he he

Sean

Thanks for the confirmation, Sean. The reels arrived yesterday and are in excellent condition - no more than 10 years old I'd say. The clutch and baitrunners feel very smooth on both reels.

Rich..you've got a superb pairs of reels by the sound of it. I swear by my 3500's. Re. you having "paid over the odds", going price for a good pair would be about £75-85 in my opinion. Excellent/as new condition up to £100. Enjoy!
ATB
Terry

Back