• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Shimano Biomaster 2500 RA reels, a pair NOW SOLD TO MEMBER

Alec Hague

Senior Member & Supporter
I have had these from new, excellent condition seeking £140 for the pair including postage, rear drag and with spare spools. Maybe used for 2/3 hours a year on a match lake so have done very little work.

Attachments

• bio s 1.jpg
    bio s 1.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 92
  • biomasters.jpeg
    biomasters.jpeg
    171.5 KB · Views: 90
I’ve never seen those before, look like a fancier version of a super?
yes that's right Christian. I went though the range of rear drags, up to the white stradics then by chance came across a new bio 3k. I have 10 at the moment, ha!. I found them the best ever rear drags from shimano. I got all but 3 new from Italy. I tried the black RA reels too, great line capacity but their long throw spool mechanism didn't work for me. The tri drag( top reel on the catalogue page )was the best for smoothness but just too unnecessarily complicated I felt so I sold them years ago. They have sat on my match rods now for years but time to go sadly.

Hi Alec.

Could you kindly pm me some more images if those reels when you have time?
I'm quite jnteested. How much were they when new please?

Hi Julian. These reels were sold between around 2012 to 16. The y were about £160 in shops. I was using mainly xtrb 's then having moved on from stradics. I have 10 now most of which i imported new from Italy. Great reels IMHO.

Attachments

• bio 3.jpg
    bio 3.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 57
  • bio s 1.jpg
    bio s 1.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 53
  • bio s 2.jpg
    bio s 2.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 51
  • bio s 3.jpg
    bio s 3.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 48
Hi Julian. These reels were sold between around 2012 to 16. The y were about £160 in shops. I was using mainly xtrb 's then having moved on from stradics. I have 10 now most of which i imported new from Italy. Great reels IMHO.
If they're in perfect working order Alex & all original parts etc I'll have them my friend😊
Just at work at the moment, but will be able to do something later mate. 👍

If they're in perfect working order Alex & all original parts etc I'll have them my friend😊
Just at work at the moment, but will be able to do something later mate. 👍
yes they are. PM when yuo have time and I will give my paypal details. I have used all the rear drag shimano's since around 2010.The bios are by far the best in view.( or I wouldnt have had 10 of them. ha!.)

yes that's right Christian. I went though the range of rear drags, up to the white stradics then by chance came across a new bio 3k. I have 10 at the moment, ha!. I found them the best ever rear drags from shimano. I got all but 3 new from Italy. I tried the black RA reels too, great line capacity but their long throw spool mechanism didn't work for me. The tri drag( top reel on the catalogue page )was the best for smoothness but just too unnecessarily complicated I felt so I sold them years ago. They have sat on my match rods now for years but time to go sadly.
I have a couple of 2500 supers, lovely little reels, does the drag mechanism differ to the bio? Or is it just another refresh on the models.

just the same but imho better. I went from supers to stradics ( white) to XTRB , c14 tri drag, then finally bios. TBH thats the flow too each got better. Tried the black stradics , great reels, but their long throw spool system was for me a pain. The tri drag c 14 was probably the smoothest to be honest, 1 more bb I think, but just unnecessarily complicated I thought. If you like rear drags then you know, clutch thumb control whilst holding with both hands to the rod is a great boon and far better I think than having to take a hand off to adjust a front drag. Don't want to start a war as many say front drags are smoother and more precise on which I won't disagree.

just the same but imho better. I went from supers to stradics ( white) to XTRB , c14 tri drag, then finally bios. TBH thats the flow too each got better. Tried the black stradics , great reels, but their long throw spool system was for me a pain. The tri drag c 14 was probably the smoothest to be honest, 1 more bb I think, but just unnecessarily complicated I thought. If you like rear drags then you know, clutch thumb control whilst holding with both hands to the rod is a great boon and far better I think than having to take a hand off to adjust a front drag. Don't want to start a war as many say front drags are smoother and more precise on which I won't disagree.
I've done the same thing Alec. Stradic XTRB C14 was my journey with the Shimano reels, and only recently started looking at 2nd hand twin power models.

I've got a couple of shimano Thannus 4000 reels which I'm considering selling as I felt they were a bit of a crazy moment buy, as they were the last in stock... I've since got the daiwa TDR 4012 reels which I quite like....

Last edited:
I've done the same thing Alec. Stradic XTRB C14 was my journey with the Shimano reels, and only recently started looking at 2nd hand twin power models.

I've got a couple of shimano Thannus 4000 reels which I'm considering selling as I felt they were a bit of a crazy moment buy, as they were the last in stock... I've since got the daiwa TDR 4012 reels which I quite like....
I really liked the tdr handle fold mechanism. I thought it was brilliant and never understood why the others didn't copy. Felt it was a bit sturdy though for me, ie heavier than I needed. I tried the caldia but the handle fell in once as it separated entirely from the reel to collapse. Lamentable.
I really liked the look of the thunnus but didnt go down that route as not used bait runners for many years. Yes I have always hankered after a true twin power. I didnt think that the xtrb was in the same class as the front drag models even though I liked it a great deal.
I have a confession to make. The photo I sent showing spool loaded with brown mono and the box was from a couple of years ago when I sold my first 2.5. Somehow I had failed to delete it. I don't have the boxes for the pair you have bought. They seem to have disappeared. They were in the loft but I looked for them a month or so ago, to no avail! All my reels are on rods made up so just have a large box up there I put tackle boxes in. If that makes a difference to the purchase, just say, no sweat.

Back