• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Seer 20 foot Trotting rod

Graham Elliott

Senior Member & Supporter
An unused 20 foot 4 piece Seer Trotting rod has come into my possession. I understand it was built by Andy Orme about 12 -15 years ago.

It has a number on it...99039. Anyone know what that refers to? Anyone used one?

I guess hard to guess a value as I wonder how many were built. Like a stab anyone

Graham

Hi Graham, The number on the rod is the date it was made, but you have to read it backwards, 99039=9/03/99 = 9th March 1999, This was one of the last rods Jill Orme made before she stoped making them, They were £240 new so must be worth about £150 i have got 5 SEAR rods made by Jill and Andy Orme they are fantastic rods nomally made on a Harrison blank, This may be the only 20ft rod they made as the rods were made to your own spec and lengh you wanted.Hope this helps.

Regards Ray Thorpe.

Last edited:
Hi Ray. Thats a really helpful bit of advice thank you. Date makes sense....once you know!

It's in a totally unused condition, beautiful whippings, so might be a collectable. It's Seer I think.

Graham

Hi Graham, The date going backwards should be at the bottom of the rod next to the handle going round the rod, It should say Seer above this and somtimes the customers name was put on as well,It should also say 20ft and Trotter. Jill Orme did all the finishing and whippings on the rod by hand and always made a good job, Its a shame Jill and Andy split up and stopped making rods, they also had a lovely stretch of the Teme that i fished.Andys books are now fetching a lot of money at Auction.

Regards Ray Thorpe

Thats exactly as it is Ray wityh the writing on exactly as you describe. Beautiful gold and burgundy whippings.

Have fished the Haven stretch a few times as well and I believe you still can.

Many years ago Jill Orme worked in a tackle shop in Cheltenham and I was often served by her . She came across as a nice helpfull lass . If my memory serves me right way back then she was in to pike fishing in a big way

Graham.

Those numbers do reflect the date it was built/finished, I have 5 Seer rods that have the same sort of numberings they will be going onto ebay shortly, so watch out for the sale, it might give you an idea on rough selling prices.:)

Julian date ain't it ;-). Very american.

Back