• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Season results?

Richard Barrett

I've not fished the river Trent since we shut down in March. Many have told me the river has not fished well for barbel this season, is that right. How have others done this season, is it the fishing or weather?

I've not fished the river Trent since we shut down in March. Many have told me the river has not fished well for barbel this season, is that right. How have others done this season, is it the fishing or weather?
The tidal Trent has fished badly this season. Except I understand, the Collingham Weir aquarium, where most of the rivers barbel seem to be living.

The stretch of Mole I fish has been hard going. Only had 1 barbel so far. The chub have been a bit thin on the ground too, which is unusual.

I think it's fairly typical of the Trent to fish poorly the year after heavy flooding, certainly in my experience anyway.

I haven't put any time into barbelling this year, in fact my first session was yesterday evening, as my efforts have been focused on the carp. Fishing has been patchy, but managed a few none the less.

I managed one yesterday, between noon and 9pm. all be it not from a 'prolific' stretch.

The biggest issue over the last 3 or 4 weeks for me has been the mitten crabs, on dusk and after dark. Took both my hooklengths last night, and have struggled to keep a bait in the water for more than 30 mins when they are on the feed.

I understand they migrate back to the estuaries some time in Oct/Nov and to be honest, i've never wanted winter more.

One last session for the carp tonight, or it will be if the same problems persist, then it will be onto the Zander i feel.

Back