• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Sea fishing guides?

Steve Sorrell

After a few poor efforts at inshore boat angling, I'm wondering if anyone could
recommend a guide on the south coast that would take me out and show me the ropes. Willing to travel anywhere between Sussex and Dorset.

Any charter skipper worth his salt should be able to put you over a few fish and explain the best ways to get a few bites. They will in a lot of cases even provide the rods, reels end gear and bait .
A lot depends upon what species you are targetting , for instance fishing for Plaice is a lot different to fishing for Cod or Ling. Wrecking is a different ball game to clean ground angling, inshore angling can produce anything from Bass to Tope to Wrasse to plaice etc etc… great variety.
A charter skipper should be familiar with his marks and give the best advice as to what species are expected and what rigs/bait/methods should work over the ground you are drifting or anchored over.

Charter boat angling can be very rewarding , I have been a regular charter boat angler and crewman for the past 40 years, its a shame we are at opposite ends of the country .

I am off to Orkney for a two week holiday soon and will be fishing inshore for a few days , expecting Haddock, Cod, Ling , Mackerel , Pollack , Wrasse, with an outside chance of a Halibut, a friend had one less than two miles from the cliffs a couple of years ago .

447E8CA6-C884-4611-9383-345BB4673CC6.jpeg

That is the Old man of Hoy in the background, you can see how close in we are .

David

Any charter skipper worth his salt should be able to put you over a few fish and explain the best ways to get a few bites. They will in a lot of cases even provide the rods, reels end gear and bait .
A lot depends upon what species you are targetting , for instance fishing for Plaice is a lot different to fishing for Cod or Ling. Wrecking is a different ball game to clean ground angling, inshore angling can produce anything from Bass to Tope to Wrasse to plaice etc etc… great variety.
A charter skipper should be familiar with his marks and give the best advice as to what species are expected and what rigs/bait/methods should work over the ground you are drifting or anchored over.

Charter boat angling can be very rewarding , I have been a regular charter boat angler and crewman for the past 40 years, its a shame we are at opposite ends of the country .

I am off to Orkney for a two week holiday soon and will be fishing inshore for a few days , expecting Haddock, Cod, Ling , Mackerel , Pollack , Wrasse, with an outside chance of a Halibut, a friend had one less than two miles from the cliffs a couple of years ago .

View attachment 19749

That is the Old man of Hoy in the background, you can see how close in we are .

David
Many thanks for your advice David. I've been on a few charters but haven't really learned a lot (probably because of the skippers) but I'm after something more personal.
Just feel I'm treading water really.

Steve

Back