• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Saltwater Barbel

David Craine

Senior Member & Supporter
Just found this on another website, it was found washed up in a saltwater marina slipway, not sure exactly where, but somewhere either Whitby or further north.

SeaBarbel.jpg

I may just start using hair rigged pellets on my beach rigs..

Seriously though, a good fish like 6 or 7 pounds I estimate, must have been washed downstream and into an estuary, did it die in the fresh water, or later when it reached the salt ?

How many more fish do we lose this way ?

Dave

Ray.. I cant seem to get a link to work, but if you google "Whitby Sea Anglers Forum" , once in, click on "Shore, boat and Kyak fishing", then click on "Seen plenty of Rays Bream but not one of these before ", you will be on the article..it says the fish was found on "The Gare", which I think is in the Hartlepool area, an area not known for its Barbel fishing.

Sorry I cannot be of more help.

Dave

Julian...If you look closely, the barbel in the pic has had some fin rot damage on the top end of the tail at some time. This has healed but not regenerated, which tells me it is an older fish. Secondly, there is a nastly red looking external lesion/growth/tumour by the front Pectoral fin/throat.
Perhaps someone from up there could ID the fish from whence it came, as the tail is a dead giveaway. Long shot, but it might turn up in a web/club gallery etc.
...Tops..Ray

Back